Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 version 8.2.151.0 IPv6

dimjay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure IPv6 on Dynamic Interface in WLC 5508 version 8.2.151.0, but there is no IPv6 field configuration in the GUI, Controller > Interface. Only IPv4 configuration. (Image below).

I've enabled the IPv6 on the 5508.

For the comparation, in the WLC 8500 version 8.3.140.0 there is IPv6 field.

Is there any hardware or software limitation on my WLC 5508?

Please kindly help.

WLC 5508 No IPv6.PNGWLC 8500 ipv6.PNGIPv6 enabled.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm not entirely sure (and also couldn't find it), but I think IPv6 interface addresses aren't supported on 8.2 in the GUI. You could try to upgrade to the latest 8.3.141.0 (don't use an older 8.3 version) and check if it's there.
You might be able to configure the IPv6 address through the console, but I don't have the command at hand at the moment.

Edit:

Or you might be hitting this restriction:

In a converged access environment that has Cisco WLCs running AireOS code, High Availability Client SSO and native IPv6 are not supported.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Try configuring an ipv4 address first, it might then be possible to assign an ipv6 address too , afterwards.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi,

IPv4 configuration already configured but still no IPv6 config field.

I'm not entirely sure (and also couldn't find it), but I think IPv6 interface addresses aren't supported on 8.2 in the GUI. You could try to upgrade to the latest 8.3.141.0 (don't use an older 8.3 version) and check if it's there.
You might be able to configure the IPv6 address through the console, but I don't have the command at hand at the moment.

Edit:

Or you might be hitting this restriction:

In a converged access environment that has Cisco WLCs running AireOS code, High Availability Client SSO and native IPv6 are not supported.

Hi,

I've upgraded to version 8.3.141.0 and there is an option to configure IPv6 on dynamic interface.

Thanks a lot for the help.

aogston
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dimjay.

You do not need to configure anything on the WLC for IPV6 support except for what you have already done. However, you will need IPV6 configured on the routed interface for that wlan/vlan (Firewall/router) .

Example for an IOS device below:-

interface Vlanxxx
standby version 2
standby x ipv6 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::x/64
standby x timers x x
standby x priority xxx
standby x preempt
ipv6 address xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::x/64
ipv6 enable
ipv6 nd prefix xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64 no-advertise
ipv6 nd managed-config-flag
ipv6 nd other-config-flag
ipv6 dhcp relay destination xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::x
ipv6 dhcp relay destination xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::x
ipv6 ospf 1 area xxxxxx
ipv6 ospf hello-interval x
ipv6 ospf cost x

Hope that helps.

Andy.

martsan2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per the Cisco documentation for IPv6, this is not supported for dynamic interfaces. 

Controller Configuration for IPv6 Support

Controller configuration for the native IPv6 support is similar to that of the IPv4 controller with the exception of the few interfaces accepting the IPv6 addresses as demonstrated in the following examples:Management solution supports one IPv6 address (+ LLA address).Dynamic interfaces support only IPv4 addresses.Dynamic AP manager supports only IPv4 addresses.Redundancy management/Redundancy port (HA interfaces support IPv4 only) supports only IPv4 addresses.Service-port can get an IPv6 address statically or using SLAAC (Only SLAAC interface is supported on the WLC).LAG is required for IPv6 AP load balancing.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/IPV6_DG.html

Hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card