cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 9800 L installed wildcard certificate and can no longer access Gui

TRNHelp
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLC9800 L.  I installed a wildcard cert and set a trust point. Now I cannot access the management via GUI.  I can still access via putty using the IP. I followed the Cisco documentation for installing the cert but Haven't found anything on the GUI issue after installing a wildcard cert.

I would appreciate any help on this issue.  

30 Replies 30

docjb0221
Level 1
Level 1
What version of IOS are you running? There were some bugs with 17.3.5 around the web server and certs.

Version 17.03.06

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters have  a checkup-review of your 9800   controller (current)  configuration with the CLI command : show tech wireless  , have the output analyzed with : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer
                                                  Always a good place to start when experiencing all sorts of trouble!

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Either your browser is flagging the cert change as a security issue in which you need to fry to use a private window, or else since you have cli access, change the https to use a default trustpoint. If you have a backup configuration, you should see the certificate it was using. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

"Now I cannot access the management via GUI." - can you be more specific?
What exactly is the error, if any?  What do you see on a packet capture and browser trace?

Agree with Scott that it's quite likely a browser issue with change of cert rather than WLC issue.  As long as you've installed the cert correctly it should work.  Go back to basics - make sure the FQDN name you're using is in DNS, resolves to the WLC IP and matches the name on the cert.  Then use browser trace (F11), WLC debugs and packet captures to work out why it's not working.

Its a wildcard certificate we use for many things in our network. If I go back to the self-signed cert I can get back into the gui.  If I ping the controller by name it returns the correct Domain Name. 

The trustpoint has

Label - the name of the certificate  

Enrollment URL is still the default 

Then it has key Generated and Enroll trustpoint checked

You didn't answer the question!

When you say "Now I cannot access the management via GUI" - what exactly does that mean? Do you get an error message?  Do you get a certificate error?  Does the connection timeout?  Does the connection get rejected?  Have you done a browser trace?  Have you done a packet capture?  Have you done debugs on the WLC?  What do the WLC logs show?  Do you have a screenshot illustrating the problem?

I removed the trust points and the key pairs and brought the certificate in again. I didn't change the trust point under HTTP/HTTPS/Netconf and I can access via the GUI. Then I went into Web Auth - Global and changed the trust point. Now on my guest wireless when I try to connect I get this site can't be reached. Err_connection_reset

Did you do *any* of the things we suggested or you just ignored the whole lot?

There's no point asking questions if you just ignore the answers.

Yes I change the https to use a default trust point per Scotts suggestion which allows me  to access via the GUI but still need assistance on getting the cert to work with Guest WIFI

I have also run the Show Wireless tech but it shows 0 errors

>....Now on my guest wireless when I try to connect I get this site can't be reached. Err_connection_reset
                    - A bit confusing , are you saying you need GUI access from guest network (not good practice!) ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I'm trying to get rid of the browser error that my  connection is not secure when Connecting to my Guest wireless.  So I have a certificate to get rid of that error but when I put in the trust point I cannot get to my  Internal page to logon with guest WIFI. Without the certificate I get that my Connection isn't secure but I can bypass that and get to my Guest page to logon. I hope that makes sense.

- Post a screenshot of what you are seeing  , 

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card