Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and ISE

Hello,

I need to know what are the features I will lose for the wireless users, if I did not use a WLC deployment (Using autonomous AP), knowing that I'm using last code of ISE1.1.1.

Also in case of no WLC, can I use Inline posture node or I have to use WLC in this case ?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Autonomous APs are not supported in an ISE-deployment. You could solve that problem with an Inline Posture Node, but that's probably much more expensive then switching to a WLC.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thanks Karsten for your reply, but do you have more technical details about why it is not supported, I mean what protocols or features will not run exactly.

I'm not expert in wireless so I need to understand what is available in "Wired client + Cisco switch + ISE" and will not be available in "Wireless Client+ Autonomous AP+The same Cisco Switch+ ISE"?

Thanks.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For example Coa isn't supported unless you have a wlc or a inline solution. Can't do that with autonomous aps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

So I understand from that COA is supported on the Cisco Switch and it provides this to the wired client, while this is not supported on the AP (although it is connected after that to a switch) and we will need WLC or inline posture, but I believe that the inline posture will be added after the switch so setup will be AP-----Switch---Inline posture---Core and ISE, so why the Inline posture can provide the CoA to the wireless clients while the switch can't do that ?

Note : I assumed a lot of facts in the above statement so please correct me if any is wrong

Fact 1: COA is supported on the Cisco Switch and it provides this to the wired client.

Fact 2: but I believe that the inline posture will be added after the switch so setup will be AP-----Switch---Inline posture---Core and ISE.

Also assuming that CoA is not supported and as I know it is important for the Posture and profiling, but can we use normal AAA authentication and Guest life mangamnet with ISE and without WLC or inline posture ?

Thanks 

Will autonomous AP be supported in the future?

Nope....

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card