Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC HA how to be managed after switchover

Hi, I have a problem. I know these info: After SSO is enabled followed by the WLC reboot and XML configuration is synced, WLC 1 will transition its state as Active and WLC 2 will transition its state as STANDBY HOT. From this point onwards, the GUI/Telnet/SSH for WLC 2 on the management interface will not work, as all the configurations and management should be done from the Active WLC. If required, the Standby WLC (WLC 2, in this case) can only be managed via the Console or Service Port,and it also can be managed via RMI by SSH. If the Active WLC down,the standby WLC as a Active device,whether we can use the management interface to manage the WLC?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the Active WLC down,the standby WLC as a Active device,whether we can use the management interface to manage the WLC?

yes you can. You can test it.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

thanks for your response

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Rps-Cheers wrote:
If required, the Standby WLC (WLC 2, in this case) can only be managed via the Console or Service Port,and it also can be managed via RMI by SSH.

Depends on the model of WLC, but the CIMC can also be used to manage both boxes.

@Rps-Cheers wrote:
If the Active WLC down,the standby WLC as a Active device,whether we can use the management interface to manage the WLC?

When the active unit goes down, the secondary unit "promotes" itself to become the primary.  The Management IP address can still be used to manage the ACTIVE unit.

HI Leo, What is CIMC?And if we manage WLC by connect the wifi,after switchover occur,whether we must reconnect the wifi for managing the WLC.

Hi Moments,

The CIMC port on WLC 5520 and 8540 is primarily used to access the server software that the WLC is running on. From here you can also active the possibility to connect to the console of the WLC by SSH to the CIMC IP address.

When a failover occurs the management IP that was configured will stay with the ACTIVE WLC. Clients on the wifi will not notice the failover and stay connected but you need to refresh and re login on the management IP if you where working on the WLC during the failover.

The management of the WIFI should always be done via the management IP. SP and CIMC access should only be used during troubleshooting and collecting of data from STANDBY WLC sense this is the only way to access the STANDBY WLC. For example if the STANDBY WLC is in Maintenance mode you need to connect via SP, CIMC or Condole to reboot teh WLC after the issue is resolved.

regards,
Jonas
**please rate if helpful**

Hi Jonas; Thank you for your detailed answer

CIMC is Cisco's term for the iLO or DRAK port found at the back of the UCS chassis. The 5520 & 8540 are the controllers which have CIMC.

HI Leo; i get it.thanks

HI Jonas,Leo,Sandeep; thanks for your help,your answer can reslove my problem. but when i want to set your answers as helpful,the error display authenticate failed,and maybe Explorer unsupport.I hope you can understand, thank you
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card