Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC5508 connect to 25Gig HP Switch

mlieber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a somewhat very specific question.

We want buy a new wireless controller 9800 but cause of delivery issues we need to connect our old WLC5508 to a HP switch. HP switch has only 25Gigabit Port. We have insert a 1GigSFP and connected WLC to that Port, so both sides have 1Gig SFP.

But we don't get a link between both sides.

Does WLC5508 support this design?

thanks

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switch has fixed 25G port, this need to cehck with HP vendor side is this port support 1GB SFP ? if YES you an configure, if not you need to get the temporary switch can connect 1GB  connection, what model of HP switch is this ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji, thanks.

It is a HPE FlexFabric 5945,

and yes, we have connected other devices to 1Gig SFPs which are plugged into 25Gig Port, too.

So HP switch supports 1Gig SFP.

These other devices/switches are working fine

This I see in show interface

Media type is optical fiber, port hardware type is 1000_BASE_SX_SFP
Ethernet port mode: LAN
1000Mbps-speed mode, full-duplex mode
Link speed type is force link, link duplex type is force link
Flow-control is not enabled

regards

Martin

HPE FlexFabric 5945 - if the switch supports 1GB SFP , then it should work work with WLC

i would rely on logs now.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If  the HP switch can not down-negotiate to 1G  it will certainly not work. I may even not want to can/use the 1G sfp (check HP switch logs when SFP is inserted or connection-attempt is made with the controller)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why not connect the controller to another switch to validate the port and sfp is working fine.  Like what others mentioned, if you can set the switch port to 1000/full, then it should work.  You should also look at the 9800-CL if you need something temp, that is if you have a hypervisor that is supported you can use. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, I have configured switchport to 1000/full without autonegotiate, still doesn't work.

SFP and WLC are working fine, connected to old Cisco switch.

Now we are trying to connect WLC to a dedicated gigabit Port on HP switch, I let you know what happen.

That should work, since you validated the 5508 works on a different switch. Is the fiber sfp/patch being used compatible on both sides?  Might be easier to put a switch in between for now like what others mentioned.

-Scott

mlieber
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, we have now connected the WLC5508 to Gigabit Port 1/0/1 instead of TwentyGig Port 1/1/4.

We have used the same SFP and same Patchcables, further configuration is the same.

Now it works

It would be interesting for me to know if this problem would also exist if it was a Cisco switch with a 25Gig port instead of an HP switch.
It would not change anything, we now have to look for a plan B.

As long as the switch 25g port can negotiate to 1g, then it should work as it is supported.  Open a case with HP and see what they say.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card