Views
Helpful
Replies

ZABBIX and WLC - AP Monitoring

B A
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

We implemented Zabbix to our network recently and we'd like to monitor ICMP ping of all Cisco APs plus other items.

These APs are managed by Cisco WLC.

I managed to monitor WLC but I am unable monitor any of APs. Even not a ping.

To be clear I don't know how to extract the required data from WLC.

Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- As already explained , external snmp monitoring by controller based AP's is probably not supported. Make sure that zabbix is happy with ping-only-monitoring.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

B A
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody? Thanks.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters, are the AP's reachable from the zabbix server (I mean try a manual ping to an AP from the z-server).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Yes, sir. That's not the issue.

I have two options waht to do...

1. Monitor APs via WLC

2. Monitor APs standalone

Now I am monitoring just WLC and I am looking for any way to monitor APs.

I tried to add APs as standalone hosts to Zabbix but there was an issue with SNMP communication... I was searching for any info and I read that if you manage APs via WLC, you maybe cannot monitor them - only extract data from WLC using OIDs.

- I would advise to let the AP's being monitored by the WLC , not by zabbix (indeed)

M.

We need to monitor a network availability of all APs and in case that any of them fails, let Zabbix inform us. Also we are going to create a map with all network devices in Zabbix. 

So can you please help us to achieve this?

- For these purposes it is better to look into or acquiring cisco prime, which offers flexible alerting for AP's and also can handle wireless maps in a more advanced manner.

M.

As suggested other post, is there any reason why you re not able to Prime, its better tool and easy to manage devices and maps.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks.

Zabbix is for free, Prime isn't.  Also the goal is to monitor every single device in network... Printers, servers, iLOs... Can Prime handle this? I guess this is off topic.

What I need is to enable SNMP on Cisco APs and get it together with Zabbix. Do you have any experience with this?

we do not know your requirement and you need to more elaborated in the original post what you are looking goal achieve

Most of the network devices in Cisco support SNMP, its all how smart you enough to configure Zabixx to collect the data  and what you looking to monitor. and  available in Zabixx Gui to monitor same. some information for your guidance.

here is configured WLC with snmp and you configure Zabixx to get dat

BB

Thanks.

I  added WLC to Zabbix some time ago. That's ok.

I want to monitor ICMP ping of APs connected to WLC. Just this. This is the goal.

SNMP enabled and configured on WLC with a uniqe community.

How do I distribute this community string to APs?

Ref : ICMP and snmp monitoring of controller based AP's in zabbix

- I think it should well be possible to monitor a device(/AP) in zabbix, which only responds to ping. I don't know the details however, because I am  a NAGIOS expert myself. I do think however that controller based AP's do not support 'external' SNMP monitoring because of security reasons.

M.

In General AP are connected to your Switch and getting IP from DHCP before joining WLC, so you should be able to ping WAP.

BB

Thanks.

I tried to add an AP standalone but I got the message in Zabbix: No SNMP Data Collection. As far as I know it might be caused by wrong SNMP configuration on the access point.

The question is how to configure SNMP on AP while it is managed by WLC?

- As already explained , external snmp monitoring by controller based AP's is probably not supported. Make sure that zabbix is happy with ping-only-monitoring.

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card