Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9000 CGN on Tomahawk Line Cards

DanilZhig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I see there are some CGN capabilities on Tomahawk generation Line Cards. CGN Licenses for 4-Port and 8-Port are orderable.

There are also some hits that some other nat-related features are supported on some other Tomahawk line cards, e.g. MAP-T on MOD200 and MOD400 (although it is just stateless translation)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r5-3/cg-nat/configuration/guide/b_cgnat_cg53xasr9k/b_cgnat_cg53xasr9k_chapter_0100.html

But configuration guides always refer to VSM module when it comes to CGN configuration. That's why I am wondering if inline CGN on line cards is completely there, or is just limited and experimental?

Best regards,

Danil 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Danil,

just got the feedback today.

The product management created the license for 200G CGN (MAP) this week. It should be usable by your account team in the ordering tool: A9K-200G-CGN-LIC.

So basically, you will have this license fro MOD200 and the A9K-400G-CGN-LIC for the MOD200.

Kind regards,

N.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Nicolas Fevrier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Danil,

there is no stateful translation without VSM in ASR9000.

So, NAT will require a VSM, always. Regardless the scale, performance, etc. The line card itself has no mechanism to track states of translation.

MAP-T in the other end, as you mentioned, is stateless and can be operated on a TH-based line card without VSM, but that's the only exception in the CGN world. All other features (NAT, DS-Lite, 6rd, etc), will need a VSM.

Kind regards,

N.

Hi Nicolas,

I see there are CGN licenses for line cards:

A9K-800GCGN-LIC=

A9K-400GCGN-LIC=

Do they only enable MAP-T feature on line cards?

Here is a quote from configuration guide:

MAP-T is supported only on Cisco ASR 9000 Series 400G and 200G Modular Line Cards and Cisco ASR 9000 Series 4-Port and 8-Port 100 Gigabit Ethernet Line Cards.

So there should also be similar licenses for MOD200 and MOD400 Cards?

Best regards,

Danil

Hi Danil,

I confirm that the licenses 400G/800G should only be necessary for MAP-T.

I'll check with the product management team what they do for MOD cards.

Thanks,

N.

Hi Nicolas,

Have you heard from product management team? Thanks again for checking this.

Best regards,

Danil

Hi Danil,

just got the feedback today.

The product management created the license for 200G CGN (MAP) this week. It should be usable by your account team in the ordering tool: A9K-200G-CGN-LIC.

So basically, you will have this license fro MOD200 and the A9K-400G-CGN-LIC for the MOD200.

Kind regards,

N.

Impressive. Thanks for your feedback.