Views
Helpful
Replies

BFD for BGP between XRv and ASR 9010

DylanHanten
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've been trying to setup BFD on our XRv route reflectors. We are in the process of migrating our AS from an iBGP mesh between each router to a route reflector setup with two geographically diverse RRs. We are planning on implementing BFD between each router and the RRs, but have been having some difficulty getting BFD to come online. BGP is established between each router and the RRs, but BFD is stuck in the initializing state. Looking at the BFD counters I can see each router is transmitting, but the XRv route reflectors are not transmitting or receiving any BFD packets. I have BFD running successfully between two 9001 iBGP neighbors, so I am wondering if the configuration is slightly different for the XRv platform or if I'm missing something. Here is the BFD configuration that we have applied to each router. This is exactly the same configuration applied between our two 9001 direct peers and is working, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the XRv platform.

bfd
multipath include location 0/0/CPU0

router bgp XXXX
bfd minimum-interval 1000
bfd multiplier 3

neighbor XXXX

bfd fast-detect

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

i was checking internally

CSCvq98459 Enable BFD Multi-hop, this feature was added in 7.2.1 code

however we do not have an ETA at this time of when it will be released for XRv9k

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

tkarnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

need to check if this is supported. what version are you running? is this XRv or XRv9k?

the link from your RR, is it a bundle?

Thank you

We are running version 6.6.3 and the image we are running is XRv9k. The link from the RR is not a bundle it's just a 1G port to our DC.

i was reviewing the release notes, it does not look like multihop bfd session support was added.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/virtual-routers/xrv9k-70x/general/release/notes/b-release-notes-xrv9k-r701.html

i just see singlehop and bundle

Are you aware of any future software versions for the XRv9k where BFD multihop will be supported or is supported? Any kind of roadmap for that feature with the XRv9k platform?

i was checking internally

CSCvq98459 Enable BFD Multi-hop, this feature was added in 7.2.1 code

however we do not have an ETA at this time of when it will be released for XRv9k

That sounds good. I will keep an eye out for when that software revision is released. Thank you for all of the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: