Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp default-originate, default-route flap 6.1.4

per.helm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In 6.1.4, I have noticed that the default-route injected to bgp via the default-originate command associated to the neighbor (in a vrf), is updated in the receiving end (CPE), when the default route is added to the bgp RIB from the WAN. The default-originate command is not tied to a route-policy, so it should be advertised totally independent of any presence of the default route in the RIB. So in short, if I add/remove/add/remove the default route in the WAN, the default route gets new timestamps in the CPE at every occurence in 6.1.4. This is not seen in 6.4.2. Is anyone aware of any difference in the behavior between the two versions regarding this?

Best Regards

Per

3 Replies 3

tkarnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't have a route-policy attached to 'default-originate' command. And it's only the default route from the WAN that flaps the originated (by the router) default route. Any other route update is not affecting the default route.

It is expected behavior and it is documented in bug:

CSCuw54969 XR BGP default-originate behavior.

You said that it isn't present in release 6.4.2, the defect aforementioned by Tarun CSCve41797 introduced changes in bgp default-route handling, so it might have an impact here.

Thx,
Douglas