cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS XR. When is absolute refpoint created in primary persistent configuration file?

Vadym Belyayev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me to understand when the absolute refpoint is created and what determines that a certain place in the persistent configuration file becomes an absolute refpoint?

The IOS XR fundamentals only states that "An absolute refpoint is the router configuration at some point of time. Commit
refpoints are the different commit files that are created for every commit".......... But at what precise point of time? I would like to know this for example in case of doing a restore to know where my absolute point is (to know from which point the IOS will be restored from) Does it vary its place in the persistent config or not?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi vadym,

feels to me this is a bit over complex way of explaining the commit database in that book.

every time a commit is done, the configuration of that set is stored as a commit id (or label if provided). this gives then a check point in time that allows you to rollback to for instance.

the commit database can hold 100 changes.

the full configuration is always available in sysdb. (the system database).

cheers!

xander

View solution in original post

haha yeah, sysdb is a whole other topic, still planning on writing a guide on that on how it works and how to verify things etc. to come soon :)

cheers!

xander

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi vadym,

feels to me this is a bit over complex way of explaining the commit database in that book.

every time a commit is done, the configuration of that set is stored as a commit id (or label if provided). this gives then a check point in time that allows you to rollback to for instance.

the commit database can hold 100 changes.

the full configuration is always available in sysdb. (the system database).

cheers!

xander

Thank a lot Xander, I will leave this part for future studyings )))

haha yeah, sysdb is a whole other topic, still planning on writing a guide on that on how it works and how to verify things etc. to come soon :)

cheers!

xander

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: