Views
Helpful
Replies

NCS 5501-SE reboot after upgrade from 6.6.3 to 7.1.2

FabriceLaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I upgraded NCS5501-SE from 6.6.3 to 7.1.2, upgrade went smooth, but after upgrading fpd, i this message telling to reload.

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:RT#sh hw-module fpd
Tue Dec 14 14:15:22.672 UTC
FPD Versions
=================
Location Card type HWver FPD device ATR Status Running Programd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0/RP0 NCS-5501-SE 1.1 MB-MIFPGA CURRENT 1.02 1.02
0/RP0 NCS-5501-SE 1.1 Bootloader RLOAD REQ 1.15 1.22
0/RP0 NCS-5501-SE 1.1 CPU-IOFPGA UPGD FAIL 1.14 1.14
0/RP0 NCS-5501-SE 1.1 MB-IOFPGA CURRENT 1.11 1.11
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:RT#

after the reload, i cannot access CLI and the router reboot continuously.

How to fix it ? Thanks

15 Replies 15

The NCS platform runs with a bootloader and linux under the hood, there is no maintenance mode if no OS is installed and no maintenance mode like windows. Once you get past the bootloader the device will keep trying to boot the USB if that is what you specified from the boot menu. This is no different from linux or windows bootup. To get back to the bootloader screen you need to reboot the box just like in linux or windows or any PC/laptop/server.

I do not see a reason for RMA at this point as there is not enough information to diagnose what is going wrong and no signs of a hardware fault. Alternatively to USB boot you can use the MGMT port to iPXE boot, you don't even really have to setup a PXE server per se, you can just host the file via http/tftp/etc on a server and boot it from the ipxe boot menu. I suggest working with TAC before going down the road of an RMA as that should always be the last resort.

Sam