Views
Helpful
Replies

NCS-5501 upgrade from 7.5.2 to SP1 (SPGISO0001) fails

decode.chr13
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are trying to upgrade from 7.5.2 to SPGISO0001, but fails with insufficient space error.

We have one unit which is not in production and USB booted to 7.5.2, then tried upgrade, with the same error.

Is there any fix to this?

Thanks

Below is the show install log detail error:

Following error(s) occurred in sysadmin vm(s) during install operation:
Preparation failed with the error:
Error CMD=python /opt/cisco/calvados/bin/lvutils.py system --staging_loc /misc/disk1 --initrd /media/install_tmpfs/tmp.VQD6jujQXC/boot/initrd.img returned --->

Error stack for 0/RP0 :
#1 Insufficient space for /media/install_tmpfs/tmp.VQD6jujQXC/boot/initrd.img extraction in staging location /misc/disk1. Staging Free Space : 2526 MB, initrd Size : 2699 MB, Estimated uncompressed initrd size : 3508 MB

Please collect 'show tech-support install one-showtech' from XR and
'show tech-support ctrace' from Admin and pass this information to
your TAC representative for support.

5 Replies 5

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Am I correct in understanding you are trying to use a GISO to do the upgrade?

Can you try an install replace instead of install add/activate?

Sam

Hi Sam,

That is correct. I'm using a GISO downloaded from Cisco.

The error is from an install replace operation.

See below the beginning of install log:

Install operation 8 started by user:
install replace source ncs5500-goldenk9-x-7.5.2-SPGISO0001.iso
No install operation in progress at this moment
Checking system is ready for install operation
'install replace' in progress
Label = SPGISO0001
ISO ncs5500-goldenk9-x-7.5.2-SPGISO0001.iso in input package list. Going to upgrade the system to version 7.5.2
Current label: <None>
Updating contents of golden ISO
Scheme : localdisk
Hostname : localhost
Username : None
SourceDir : /harddisk:/mirror

It looks like the harddisk on the RP in admin mode has too many files on it, you should be able to check the disk for files that are not needed like show techs files or core dumps and delete them. If you issue a show media in admin mode it will give you the size of the disk which I suspect is 2.5GB free space (will show same size as install:/tmp partition as we use the harddisk as a tmp dir when uncompressing the image. You can use the dir command against harddisk: to list files and then go into folders like show_tech and dumper and use delete to delete files, then check that the disk has over 3.5GB free.

I should note I am only guessing it is admin harddisk because its the python script running from admin mode and not XR, I would also make sure the XR harddisk has enough free space.

Sam

It is admin mode because error says "Following error(s) occurred in sysadmin vm(s) during install operation".

There are no logs or crash files as it it a system freshly installed with USB boot to 7.5.2, then added 7 PIEs in second install operation.

If before install I look at show media in admin mode i see 5.2 GB free space, but during install looking in /misc/disk1 folder I see that the process copies the file from xr mode harddisk: to admin harddisk: then mounts the iso and tries to decompress it again to harddisk:

The file is 2.85GB, so 5.2GB will never be enough for all operations in the same mount...

Thanks

Upgrading from 7.5.2 to 7.7.2 encounters the same problem. Insufficient space.

The only option found so far was to USB boot to 7.7.2.

We can suggest for install process (in 7.5.2) to use the /media/ram partition (16GB) for ephemeral operations, but we don't know how/what it is used for...

This mount doesn't exist on 7.7.2 anymore.