Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NCS5504 VRRP sessions limit

Hi all,

We need to create about 50 VRRP sessions on NSC 5504 platform. 

But when I try to create more then 16 sessions I see this message in log

LC/0/0/CPU0:Jul 26 11:07:31.324 : vlan_ea[141]: %PLATFORM-DNX_VLAN_EA-3-MAX_VRRP : Only 16 VRRP sessions can be configured under a main interface BE1 (0x800001c).

And it doesn't acounts which interface I use to create new session. It seems like software/hardware limitation. The same config on ASR9010 works fine. We have about 100 VRRP sessions UP on this platform.

Any ideas? Will slave option save me? I can't try it now, because all 16 VRRP sessions are in production now.

6 Replies 6

Nicolas Fevrier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vladimir,

16 VRID is indeed the limit you can reach, I'm not aware of any workaround,

Kind regards,

N.

Is that due to a Broadcom chip limitation please?

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::

adam

Is it hardware of software limitation? 

I heard of plans to extend this in IOS XR 7.0.1, but it's not the place to discuss roadmap (since I don't own roadmap). Please contact your account team and ask them to start a discussion with the product management. You will get the latest details.

Thanks,

N.

ProNtokz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vladimir,

I am not really sure if you came right with this, but this was resolved(extended) on 6.6.1 see release notes:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/general/66x/release/notes/b-release-notes-ncs5500-r661.html

By enabling vrrpscale you can get up to 255 vrrp sessions:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/ip-addresses/b-ip-addresses-cr-ncs5500/b-ncs5500-ip-addresses-cli-reference_chapter_01001.html#id_91192

Regards..

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I opened case in support, and it's their answer:

"the max number of VRRP sessions we support per system are – 255.
VRRP Scale per interface is– 10 (which means creating maximum 10 sub interfaces per interface and assigning a new VRID)."

So, documentation is not clear, and in reality enabling VRRP scalability feature will even decrease VRRP number per interface up to 10, but will encrease to 255 per box.

I think it will be useful, because enabling this feature requires reloading the box.