Views
Helpful
Replies

QSFP to SFP adapter for NCS 5700

from88
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We've bought NCS-57B1-5DSE-SYS with only 100G/400G interfaces. Because our old NCS-5501-SE has few 10G (CWDM and simple Single Mode) interfaces used, we decided to buy some CVR adapters (CVR-QSFP-SFP10G) for that case from quite trustable 3rd party vendor.

First case was to use the adapter with 10G CWDM SFP. And it seems like failed. When i'm inserting the CVR-QSFP-SFP10G (with 10G CWDM sfp)  to NCS-57B1-5DSE-SYS Hu0/0/0/10 interface - it appears as Fo0/0/0/10 (FortyGigE0/0/0/10). And i can't do nothing, the interface is down.

So i've few questions about that:

1) Does CVR adapters supports CWDM SFP ?
2) Is there any additional configure commands needed when using CVR adapter ? Can't find documentation.
3) or maybe this is a bug ? https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvy49461

I would appreciate any help - thank you.

P.S The IOS-XR version is the newest recommended: 

show version
Mon Jul 17 21:45:13.205 UTC
Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 7.9.2 LNT
Copyright (c) 2013-2023 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Build Information:
Built By : deenayak
Built On : Thu Jun 29 03:07:05 UTC 2023
Build Host : 91e83af3b5f7
Workspace : /auto/srcarchive16/prod/7.9.2/ncs5700/ws
Version : 7.9.2
Label : 7.9.2

5 Replies 5

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi,

Did you configure breakout for the ports with hw-module command? By default the ports only support 1 speed. You need to configure breakout to change the speed.

Sam

Hello, thank you. I didn't do anything for the port configuration because i expect the port automatically turn into Tengig one. For example here https://xrdocs.io/ncs5500/tutorials/ncs5500-things-to-know/ in xrdocs it was written so: If you insert a QSA optic (QSFP to SFP Adaptor), the port will appear as TenGig 0/x/y/z.

But that page is quite old. So you mean i need to do first for example: hw-module port-range 6 7 instance 0 location 0/RP0/CPU0 mode 4x10 and only after try to get the link up ?

or do i need to set forcefully 10G to whole quad of ports - (config)#hw-module quad 0 location 0/RP0/CPU0 mode 10g ?

thanks for any input

p.s sorry - its me - just from another account

update: seems like  (config)#hw-module quad 0 location 0/RP0/CPU0 mode 10g ? this command is not supported on platform.

But as you said @smilstea i did local test between devices: hw-module port-range 0 1 instance 0 location 0/RP0/CPU0 mode 4x10

and then 4 interfaces appeared :

Te0/0/0/0/0 up up
Te0/0/0/0/1 up up
Te0/0/0/0/2 up up
Te0/0/0/0/3 up up 

And as i understood only bolded one is the main one where i can do configurations, right ? Seems like ping is working i wonder if i can port-channel different interfaces.

So as i understood this is the expected way the 10G CVR's are used ?

So breakout ports change the interface naming from rack/slot/subslot/port to rack/slot/subslot/port/breakoutport. So as you observe in your example port ten0/0/0/0 now has 4 breakout ports 0-3 and you configure those not 0/0/0/0.

Sam

but i'm using the qsfp to 10g sfp adapter, so i have only 1x10g per qsfp (CVR), and seems only the breakout number zero works in my case. Is there anything bad in my configuration ? 

In the CVR product page i see the notion "The SFP+ transceiver will transmit using the first lane (10Gbps) from all four 40G ports in a four-lane configuration." https://edgeoptic.com/products/cisco/cisco-40g-transceiver/cvr-qsfp-sfp10g/