Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed Optical networking Hardware used

J19
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Does anyone knows the platform used for routed optical networks. which cisco Series?

Thank you

7 Replies 7

Hi

Your question is ambiguous. Routed network device with optical  capability almost all cisco device support. If you are reffering to DWDM, usually they have limited routing capability.

Hi,

Correct if i'm wrong.

Routed Optical Routing took place after the introduction silicon technology, which led to replace some DWDM components such as Transponder cards, RoadM cards that were usually deployed in the NCS chassis into a pluggable module into the router that is connected to a simplified DWDM System.

My question is: is there any specific router or platform to support it.

maybe a software version required to any network? does it only work with IOSXR?

Thank you,

Joseph,

maybe a software version required to the router*

fcuiller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joseph,
You can have a look at Cisco Routed Optical Networking guide published on xrdocs.io : https://xrdocs.io/design/blogs/latest-routed-optical-networking-hld
Written by @phbedard , it covers motivation and technologies behind RON, but also the hardware and software requirements.
Fred

J19
Level 1
Level 1

Hi fcuiller,

it is a very helpful guide.

as i was checking the products that can supports cisco optical routed network, i noticed that NCS 4000 series doesn't support RON. why? is it just used for OTN switching? and DWDM/OTN integration?

Thank you,

fcuiller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Yes, NCS4k 400G linecard is for DWDM/OTN.