cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RPL: change prefix attributes based on other prefixes

rtrunk
Level 1
Level 1

I want to change the local preference (or any other attribute) on incoming prefixes based on the existence of another prefix.

In other words,

if TEST-PREFIX in BGP table,
then set local preference on incoming routes to 200

Something like

IF destination in prefix-set-a
then IF prefix-set-test "In-TABLE"
        set local-preference 200
       else 
        pass
       endif
endif

The conditional "In_Table" doesn't exist, but I was hoping someone had another way to accomplish this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

we're looking at XR63 which is about a year about, although trying to get it in earlier since its been such a long standing ask already from so many.

cheers!

xander

View solution in original post

yeah your try was very nice, but this won't work either: an RPL is really like a run to completion on its own prefix while not looking at other prefixes. you can mess around with variables in the policy that we mark a variable to save/store an info, and that would work for your scenario, but ONLY if the "tripping" prefix to set the variable is received first.

we would not rewalk the list back to touch other prefixes who were handled before the "trip" was set. only prefixes after this trip will get the application.

a set will provide a pass. in your example if the prefix is not getting the local pref, the pass is not there and therefore dropped.

it is an EEM approach or the rib-has-route for neighbor attachpoint that we really need.

xander

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yeah you're looking for the rib_has_route directive. this wokrs only at the default originate attachpoint currently.

we're working on extending this for other RPL operations also, but it is not there yet.

one thing that you can do is using EEM to test some show command and if something changes you reconfigure the rpl from within EEM?

xander

Thanks for the reply.  I looked at EEM, but management feels it's too much of a hack to use in production.  Any idea when you might add the directive?  6 months?  Year?  Longer?

we're looking at XR63 which is about a year about, although trying to get it in earlier since its been such a long standing ask already from so many.

cheers!

xander

Xander, the add to Ron's question, if we vary what we want to do, in this case, match on an incoming VPNv4 prefixes RT.

Then if the RT match is true apply the local pref changes to another prefix.

What I was testing was something like this:

RP/0/0/CPU0:IOX-1#show rpl route-policy RT detail 
Sat Aug 20 18:25:18.879 UTC
prefix-set DEF
0.0.0.0/0
end-set
!
route-policy DEF
if destination in DEF then
set local-preference 200
endif
end-policy
!
route-policy RT
if extcommunity rt matches-any (1:1) then
apply DEF
endif
end-policy
!

I am receiving 100.0.0.1 via VPNv4 and the 0.0.0.0/0 is being imported from the default-vrf. I tried attaching as a VRF import map:

vrf VPN1
address-family ipv4 unicast
import route-policy RT
import from default-vrf route-policy PASS advertise-as-vpn
import route-target
100:100
!
export route-target
100:100
!
!
!

Before apply the above config:

RP/0/0/CPU0:IOX-1#sho bgp vpnv4 unicast vrf VPN1 | b Route
Sat Aug 20 18:23:05.208 UTC
Route Distinguisher: 100:102 (default for vrf VPN1)
*> 0.0.0.0/0 4.0.0.1 0 104 i
* i 10.0.0.3 100 0 105 i
*>i100.0.0.1/32 10.0.0.1 0 100 0 ?

Processed 2 prefixes, 3 paths
RP/0/0/CPU0:IOX-1#

RP/0/0/CPU0:IOX-1#sho bgp vpnv4 unicast vrf VPN1 100.0.0.1
Sat Aug 20 18:23:08.318 UTC
BGP routing table entry for 100.0.0.1/32, Route Distinguisher: 100:102
Versions:
Process bRIB/RIB SendTblVer
Speaker 35 35
Last Modified: Aug 20 18:19:36.019 for 00:03:32
Paths: (1 available, best #1)
Not advertised to any peer
Path #1: Received by speaker 0
Not advertised to any peer
Local
10.0.0.1 (metric 2) from 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1)
Received Label 21
Origin incomplete, metric 0, localpref 100, valid, internal, best, group-best, import-candidate, imported
Received Path ID 0, Local Path ID 1, version 35
Extended community: RT:1:1 RT:100:100
Source AFI: VPNv4 Unicast, Source VRF: default, Source Route Distinguisher: 100:101

Then after applying the config:

RP/0/0/CPU0:IOX-1#sho bgp vpnv4 unicast vrf VPN1 | b Route
Sat Aug 20 18:26:54.533 UTC
Route Distinguisher: 100:102 (default for vrf VPN1)
*> 0.0.0.0/0 4.0.0.1 0 104 i

Processed 1 prefixes, 1 paths

But this doesn't work, as you can see the 100.0.0.1 prefix is just dropped from the BGP table.

Is there some RPL magic that's currently supported that could enable this to work?

To answer half of my own question I presume it's dropping the prefix as the nested apply is not matching and therefore without a pass we remove the route. 

So aside from EEM/TCL any other options?

yeah your try was very nice, but this won't work either: an RPL is really like a run to completion on its own prefix while not looking at other prefixes. you can mess around with variables in the policy that we mark a variable to save/store an info, and that would work for your scenario, but ONLY if the "tripping" prefix to set the variable is received first.

we would not rewalk the list back to touch other prefixes who were handled before the "trip" was set. only prefixes after this trip will get the application.

a set will provide a pass. in your example if the prefix is not getting the local pref, the pass is not there and therefore dropped.

it is an EEM approach or the rib-has-route for neighbor attachpoint that we really need.

xander