Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

save configuration testname

Hi all,

can you please explain what is the purpose of the upper command? Once I executed "save config testname" on the CRS, new file containing only 34 bytes was created. I've checked the content using "more testname" and there is almost nothing inside (three lines, first about date/time, second is remark about IOS XR version and last one contains word "end'). I was expecting to see same output as for "show run". Seems like I'm missing some basic knowledge here because "show config changes" is showing me the same output as for the "show run".

Thanks,

Tenaro

4 Replies 4

mdebraba
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To make a text copy of the running configuration in XR, the simplest way is:

copy running harddisk:/[filename]

I'm not sure about the save config command.  Do you have logs of that ?  I can' t find it in 4.2.0.  Maybe it's an alias.

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:Router#sa?

sam

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:Router#

Hi Maxime!

it is available in global config mode, at least in 4.1. Same is happening when I execute "show config" (in global config mode), i.e. output is the same as for "save config testname" so it must be a feature. Feature I don't understand

Ok, sorry about that.

To save the running config, use ' save configuration running harddisk:[filename]'.

'save configuration harddisk:[filename]'  only saves the current un-committed configuration changes.

Note that theres is not difference between saved and running config in XR, once committed, the startup config is updated too.  The 'save config' and 'copy running []' are only there to save text backups of configurations.

To add to Maxime explanation.

The command "save configuration testname" from config mode allows you to save a text file of the current configuration changes in the text buffer before you commit them. So it you go in an enter a bunch of changes and then decide you don't want to commit them yet you can save them and then load it and commit later.

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D#config

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D(config)#hostname asr90006-d

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D(config)#save config testname

Destination file name (control-c to abort): [/testname]?

The destination file already exists. Do you want to overwrite? [no]: yes

Building configuration.

2 lines built in 1 second

[OK]

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D(config)#end

Uncommitted changes found, commit them before exiting(yes/no/cancel)? [cancel]:no

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D#more disk0a:/usr/testname

!! IOS XR Configuration 4.2.0

hostname asr90006-d

end

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D#config

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D(config)#load disk0a:/usr/testname

54 bytes parsed in 1 sec (53)bytes/sec

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9006-D(config)#show

Building configuration...

!! IOS XR Configuration 4.2.0

hostname asr90006-d

end