Views
Helpful
Replies

Time-based sample NetFlow

maucapina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I need to enable some of the Cisco IOS XR devices in the network to send netflow information to the collector, but the collector requires receive traffic statistics every 5 minutes from the devices. So I am not sure if Cisco IOS XR devices (12K and ASR9K) support time-based method for sample netflow and what are the guidelines for implement this method in a successful way.

Hope your support!

Thanks!

Marcelo

3 Replies 3

jakewilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Marcelo,

Export a flow template every 60 seconds.  This might do the trick.

Jake

Hi Jack

Thanks for your suggestion, does it might work if I configure netflow sample mode for send 1 out-of n packets?, for example: 1 out-of 1000

Regards,

Marcelo

Hello Marcelo,

Netflow sampling does not control timer to send netflow stats to collector. Sampling is undetermined variable, it could give impact to the performance depending on how much the traffic is sampled. So, be considerate when setting sampling. According to documentation, for optimal performance, the recommended value is 1 out-of 10000.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.3/netflow/command/reference/b_netflow_cr43asr9k_chapter_01.html#wp2397758831

Export the flow template might do the trick as Jake mentioned. The command is 'template data timeout 60' under flow exporter-map command.

Thanks,

rivalino

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: