Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS XR from 4.3.4 to 5.3.3 ?!?

ima imtiger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you please tell me if I can upgrade XR from 4.3.4 to 5.3.3 ???

I can't find guide here

http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/index.html

Thank you for your answer

Ima

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

That smu is to fix an certificate that expired in 2015 or something like that if i dont remeber wrongly .You dont need to do anything with that. Would be a bigger problem if you didnt have it.

Any reason why you want to use the 5.3.3 relase? If there isnt any specific reason you should go for the 5.3.4  or 6.1.4 release that is EMR releases toghter with the latest smu's.

/Peter

View solution in original post

Completely agree with Peter, I don't recommend you go to 5.3.4 without all the SMUs or SP, or you should upgrade to 6.1.4, from looking at your 4.3.4 output it looks like your not keeping up to date with the SMUs.

Hi

That command will active all those file at the same time. No need to specify them in any order.

If you want to activate all .pie that you have added for a specific release you can instead of listing all of them just type

admin install activate disk0:asr9k*5.3.3*

Regards Peter

Yes you can do that, just make sure disks on all LCs/RPs have enough space for these packages. 

16 Replies 16

xr-escalation
Level 1
Level 1
You can upgrade it's pretty straight forward using the standard install cli's.

Thank you for your answer !

This is the output of my "#sh install active summary"

Default Profile:
SDRs:
Owner
Active Packages:
disk0:asr9k-mini-px-4.3.4
disk0:asr9k-doc-px-4.3.4
disk0:asr9k-fpd-px-4.3.4
disk0:asr9k-k9sec-px-4.3.4
disk0:asr9k-mcast-px-4.3.4
disk0:asr9k-mpls-px-4.3.4
disk0:asr9k-optic-px-4.3.4
disk0:asr9k-mgbl-px-4.3.4

Could you please tell me how to do with the "disk0:asr9k-px-4.3.4.CSCut52232-1.0.0" present in the active package of the 4.3.4 version ?

Thank you,

Hi

That smu is to fix an certificate that expired in 2015 or something like that if i dont remeber wrongly .You dont need to do anything with that. Would be a bigger problem if you didnt have it.

Any reason why you want to use the 5.3.3 relase? If there isnt any specific reason you should go for the 5.3.4  or 6.1.4 release that is EMR releases toghter with the latest smu's.

/Peter

Completely agree with Peter, I don't recommend you go to 5.3.4 without all the SMUs or SP, or you should upgrade to 6.1.4, from looking at your 4.3.4 output it looks like your not keeping up to date with the SMUs.

Hi thank you for your answer :)

An additional question : is there any order to respect when installing the pie files with the "admin install activate" commands ?

can I do this (in one shot) :

admin install activate disk0:asr9k-fpd-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-k9sec-px-5.3.3  disk0:asr9k-mgbl-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-mini-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-mcast-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-mpls-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-doc-px-5.3.3 disk0:asr9k-optic-px-5.3.3  disk0:asr9k-px-5.3.3.sp3-1.0.0

thank you in advance !

Hi

That command will active all those file at the same time. No need to specify them in any order.

If you want to activate all .pie that you have added for a specific release you can instead of listing all of them just type

admin install activate disk0:asr9k*5.3.3*

Regards Peter

Thank you Peter for your prompt answer. 

My last question :)

there is no problem to do the "admin install add tar /ftp://*****TAR_FILE"in working hours (not a maintenance window) ?

Thank you

Yes you can do that, just make sure disks on all LCs/RPs have enough space for these packages. 

Thank you mimtaz for your answer.

Another question comes to my mind. The free space MUST be checked only in disk0: (not disk0a, disk1, disk1a, etc )  !!!! ?

thanks

Packages will be decompressed and written to disk0, you need to make sure that you have enough room on disk0 of each RSP and enough free memory on each RSP for all the packages being loaded (otherwise you could get into a low memory state and cause processes to crash, this is rare but make sure you have as much free memory as the file size of the packages you are loading). Otherwise you may want to breakup the install add into multiple commands so that you don't run out of memory.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Bryan! Good Day! I'm contacting cause I'm not clear the steps for Software upgrade in ASR9001 and ASR9010, these are using IOS XR 5.1 and I'll execute an upgrade to IOS XR6.4, I'm planning the following:   IOS XR 5.1 -> IOS XR 5.3.4 -> IOS XR 6.0 -> IOS XR 6.4.2   I understand that I can use the Turboboot from IOS XR 5.3.4 to IOS XR 6.4.2 but may with this there more risk.   What do you think?   Thanks in advanced.

There is some risk in that when you turboboot you are overwriting the OS currently on the disk, so there is no rollback procedure except to turboboot the old version of code. Turboboot in this case would be faster than multi-release upgrade path.

Sam

Hi Thanks for your recommendation! in this case I need the turboboot for the old version in case needs rollback, that's rigth? what about the path? in case I don't want to use turboboot from 5.1 to 6.4 "I'm thinking upgrade from 5.1 to 5.3 after go to 6.0 and finally 6.4" The turboboot only contain the IOS? What about of packages MPLS, FPD, K9, etc? are included? Or I need install after upgrade?

Thanks!

Correct you need the mini.vm file in order to turboboot 4.3.4 in case you need to rollback.

You should be able to go from 5.3.4 to 6.4 directly, as long as your hardware supports 6.4.x, the older LCs and RSPs are only supported until 5.3.4. Any card ending in -SE and -TR is supported past 5.3.4.

Turboboot mini.vm only contains the mini image as a special vm file that allows it to be bootable instead of as a package (.pie). Other packages can be added after turboboot. You will need to download the regular 6.4.x tar file and the turboboot tar file, the regular tar file (or k9 one) contains the packages as .pie files, the turboboot tar contains only the mini.vm for turbobooting the router.

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: