Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade software ncs5508

username11
Level 1
Level 1

HI

current version ios xr 6.3.2 => target version ios xr7.5.2 (NCS 5508)

how ? do i need an intermediate version? upgrade map?

any help plz. emergency

6 Replies 6

Jose Nava Nieto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Najeh,

The following link will take you to NCS5508 IOS XR Software download page for 7.5.2
One of the files listed is the NCS5500-docs-7.5.2.tar, which contains the IOS-XR System Upgrade Procedure for 7.5.2.

This document provides information about the Upgrade/Downgrade Matrix, including which versions are supported to upgrade from.
6.3.2 is not listed as a "Supported From" release. But upgrading from any 7.x.x is supported.
So, you can upgrade from 6.3.2 to 7.0.1, then to 7.5.2

Alternatively, you can re-image the system and install a fresh copy of IOS-XR 7.5.2 using the ncs5500-usb_boot-7.5.2.zip.
The guide below provides the complete procedure to perform a re-image:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/system-setup/75x/b-system-setup-cg-ncs5500-75x/perform-disaster-recovery.html#concept_08D83A7CE0AC43279AF9ED7A3295F93B

Hope this helps!

Mike Ruiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hola Najeh, I'm looking for information about the Upgrade/Downgrade Matrix, where I can confirm the upgrade path I should follow from version 6.5.3 to the target version 7.7.21, however I can't find anything concrete. I came across your comment where you indicate that it is possible to upgrade from 6.3.2 to 7.0.1, and then to version 7.5.2 and I have the doubt if I must necessarily follow that path to 7.0.1 and then to 7.7.21 or if I can do it to version 7.3.1 instead of 7.0.1? I'm asking you this because using the command 'show install upgrade-matrix running' on an NCS 5504 with version 7.7.2 only shows me 7.3.1 as the minimum version to upgrade to 7.7.2?

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:#show install upgrade-matrix running

Fri Feb 23 19:27:23.299 CST

This may take a while ...

The current software [7.7.2] can be upgraded from and downgraded to the following releases:

================================================================================

From      To        Bridge SMUs Required        Caveats                        

================================================================================

7.7.1     7.7.2     None                        None                           

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.6.2     7.7.2     None                        None                           

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.6.1     7.7.2     None                        None                           

7.5.3     7.7.2     None                        None                           

7.5.2     7.7.2     None                        None                           

7.5.1     7.7.2     None                        None                           

7.4.2     7.7.2     None                        None                           

7.4.1     7.7.2     None                        - Including 7.7.2 thirdparty   

SMUs as part of the upgrade    

operation is not supported.    

Please refer to CSCvz86625's RNE

for more details               

7.3.4     7.7.2     None                        None                           

7.3.3     7.7.2     None                        None                           

7.3.2     7.7.2     None                        - Including 7.7.2 thirdparty   

for more details               

7.3.1     7.7.2     None                        - Including 7.7.2 thirdparty   

for more details               

7.7.2     7.7.1     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.6.2     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.6.1     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.5.3     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.5.2     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.5.1     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.4.2     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.4.1     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.3.4     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.3.3     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.3.2     None                        None                           

7.7.2     7.3.1     None                        None                           

Hello @Mike Ruiz , 
Hope you are doing well. 
Support of upgrade-matrix has been introduced in IOS XR 7.5.1. It's new and does not support compatibility towards old release like 7.0.1 or 6.5.3 at the moment. 
From field experience, I can confirm that the following path 6.5.3 > 7.0.1 > 7.3.2 > 7.7.21 for your NCS 5508 should work. 

Why this path? 

anpetit_0-1709109928288.png

Note: Because of Linux Kernel Migration from Wind River to Open Embedded Linux, upgrade from releases older than 7.3.1 to release 7.6.1 or later cannot be performed directly. It must be upgraded first to any 7.3.2 or 7.4.x or 7.5.x release.

anpetit_1-1709110113931.png

To perform upgrade towards 7.3.2, it's recommended to do a first jump from 6.5.3 towards 7.0.1. It's not possible to jump from 6.5.3 towards 7.3.2 directly.

Note 2It is also important to remember that you can perform a single step upgrade with a USB boot method if it's feasible.

Please, let me know if it answers your question. 

Have a nice day. 
Kind Regards,
Antoine

Thank you for your response, Antoine. You have clarified most of my doubts.

I just have one question: while reviewing the release notes for versions 7.X.X, I found a discrepancy with your first note, starting from version 7.6.1.

MikeRuiz_1-1709112049405.png

I will follow the upgrade path you recommended, but I would like to request the link where the provided tables were obtained, to document it and have it as backup.

Lastly, regarding your second note, I will look for more information about that method. I would appreciate it if you could also share something about it.

Kind Regards!

Hello @Mike Ruiz , 
Thanks for your feedback. 

>>>while reviewing the release notes for versions 7.X.X, I found a discrepancy with your first note, starting from version 7.6.1.

I confirm you can be either in 7.3.2, to 7.5.x to perform the jump towards 7.6.x+. These tables should be available in the tar file when you are downloading an image on CCO. 
https://software.cisco.com/download/home

>>> Lastly, regarding your second note, I will look for more information about that method. I would appreciate it if you could also share something about it.
As a first start, you can check the link below. USB boot is also a good way for greenfield deployment when feasible. 
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/system-setup/75x/b-system-setup-cg-ncs5500-75x/perform-disaster-recovery.html

Please, let me know if it helps and clears your concerns and do not hesitate to accept as a solution to close this thread out. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Kind Regrads,
Antoine

Thank you for the confirmation. Without a doubt, I will follow the recommended Upgrade Path: 6.5.3 > 7.0.1 > 7.3.2 > 7.7.21.

Regarding the tables I would like to obtain as backup, they refer to the following images. Is there any link I could consult?

MikeRuiz_0-1709241299858.png

MikeRuiz_2-1709241335348.png

Have a wonderful day. 

Kind Regrads.