Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jimena Saez
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meet Benoît ODE, our new Cisco Designated VIP 2024.

Benoît Ode is a network architect passionate about the design and optimization of communications infrastructures. He claims, “Being recognized as a Cisco Designated VIP, it encourages me to continue to share my knowledge with this same passion". (Click here to read the interview in French)

Benoit Ode_VIP Spotlight_v2.png

1. What does it mean to you to be named a Cisco VIP?

Being elected Cisco VIP is an important achievement both professionally and personally. Professionally, this distinction attests to my networking expertise and my commitment within the Cisco community, thus strengthening my credibility in the field of networking technologies. Personally, this recognition has increased my self-confidence, validating my efforts and my passion that I invest in this field. This has enriched my network of contacts, allowing me to interact with other professionals sharing the same interests and ambitions.

2. What is your professional experience in the IT field?

With my 22 years of experience in the field of networks, my professional career began with the armed forces, where I worked for 17 years on behalf of a military network operator. I acquired solid expertise in network integration in particular, both in France and abroad. As I progressed from network maintenance technician to network administrator, I eventually reached the position of network and security expert. My work then turned towards the private sector, opening a new stage in my career. I joined the NetOps production teams on behalf of a network and cloud operator as a network engineer. Thanks to my skills and commitment, I quickly evolved into the role of Network Architect within this company. My current responsibilities include the design of reference designs for our new architectures, as well as the modernization of existing infrastructures, thus meeting the needs of our clients and our own structure.

3. What is your favorite technology - if you have one - and why?

My favorite technology is MPLS. From my point of view, it is a cutting-edge technology for network traffic management that optimizes the routing and transport of data across a network. What particularly appeals to me about MPLS is its ability to provide high quality of service by ensuring critical traffic is prioritized and minimizing latency and packet loss. As a network architect, I particularly appreciate the way MPLS facilitates the management of converged networks, by simultaneously supporting different types of services on the same infrastructure. This technology also allows for better security and traffic isolation, which is crucial for multi-tenant environments and sensitive applications.

4. How did you get involved in the Cisco Community?

It was through participating in Cisco webinars and events that I discovered the richness of the Cisco Community. This community has proven to be an invaluable resource for exchanging ideas, solving technical problems, and sharing experiences with other passionate professionals.

5. What inspired you to participate?

What inspired me to actively participate in the Cisco Community was above all my desire to help and share my knowledge with other professionals. I have always had a passion for explaining and transmitting knowledge, and the Cisco Community provides an ideal framework for this. This interaction also allows me to constantly learn from others, discover new perspectives and stay up to date with the latest technological developments. My desire to “bring to life” the French community is also a powerful driving force. I am committed to contributing to the dynamism of our local community, strengthening ties between members, and promoting an enriching exchange of knowledge. By actively participating, I hope to inspire other professionals to get more involved and share their own experiences in French (lol), creating a collaborative and supportive environment.

6. What do you find most useful?

Another particularly useful aspect is the opportunity to interact with experts and professionals of all levels. Exchanges with other members of the community provide practical advice, proven solutions, and mutual support. These interactions not only enrich my own skills, but they also create a collaborative learning environment where everyone can contribute and benefit from each other's experiences.

7. What do you think is missing in the community?

Establishing a structured mentoring program would allow new members or those looking to deepen their skills to be guided by experienced, recognized experts. This would strengthen ties within the community and promote more personalized learning.

8. Based on your experience, how can you plan a good career path?

Planning a good career path requires a combination of strategic thinking, ongoing commitment, and flexibility to adapt to opportunities and challenges as they arise. The first step is to do a self-assessment to identify your skills, interests, and professional values, and to define specific, measurable, achievable, and relevant objectives. Practical experience is just as important: apply your knowledge in real projects and document your achievements to build a strong portfolio. Networking and mentoring also play a key role: attend professional events, join industry associations, use platforms like LinkedIn to expand your network, and find a mentor who can guide you. Remain flexible and adaptable in the face of change and new technologies and adopt an attitude of continuous learning.

9. Do you think language barriers can be overcome for those who do not speak English?

Language barriers, especially in the technical field, can present a particular challenge. In fields like computer networking where technical jargon is omnipresent, precise understanding of terms and concepts is essential.

10. What recommendation would you make to a student who wants to get into IT?

There are several steps that can help get you off to a good start. First, gain basic knowledge of computing and networking, understanding essential concepts such as IP addresses and communication protocols. Then, follow specialized network training to deepen your knowledge of technologies, equipment, and configuration methods. Practice as much as possible with real equipment or simulations to develop technical skills. Obtain recognized certifications such as CCNA to validate your skills.

Want to join Benoît? Learn more about becoming a Cisco Designated VIP today or contact us at community.vip@cisco.com for any questions. 

◆◆ VIP Spotlight Series ◆◆
#1 Scott Fella (English community)

#2 Tomy Tim (Portuguese community)

#3 Redouane Meddane (French community)

#4 Changjiang Li (Chinese community)

#5 Chunlin Geng (Chinese community)

#6 Fumihiro Takai (Japanese community)

#7 Javier Acuña (Spanish community)

#8 Jonas Resende (Portuguese community) 

#9 Balaji Bandi (English community)

2 Comments
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: