Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS for Jabber installed on Windows

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hello Experts,

How is QOS implemented for Jabbers installed on windows. 

Q1) Does the Jabber Client mark Packets with DSCP Values as CUPC did?  If yes, which values are used. Our customer requests the markings needed/provided for all Client Traffic (TFTP, Signaling, Audio-RTP, Video-RTP, XMPP Instant Messaging, File Transfer, IMAP for VoiceMail, LDAP Auth/Search, CTI-QBE, etc...).

Q2) Is it possible to differentiate between Audio and Video RTP-Portrange as it was introduced in CUPC 8.5.5?
Is this Part of the CUPC Releasenotes also applicable for Jabber? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_5/english/release/notes/cupc85.html#wp336391

Q3) What is the overall recommendation for implementing QoS for Jabber Clients. Trust Client Markings?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shdempse
Level 1
Level 1

Jabber for Windows doesn’t mark traffic.    The primary reason for this is Windows 7 only allows applications with administrator rights to mark traffic.  Typically end users don’t have this right.

You have two options for packet marking

•   Creating identifiable  media streams using SIP profiles combined with ACL’s or MS QoS Group Policies
  •   Medianet metadata

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

shdempse
Level 1
Level 1

Jabber for Windows doesn’t mark traffic.    The primary reason for this is Windows 7 only allows applications with administrator rights to mark traffic.  Typically end users don’t have this right.

You have two options for packet marking

•   Creating identifiable  media streams using SIP profiles combined with ACL’s or MS QoS Group Policies
  •   Medianet metadata

I´ve done the QoS Group Policy locally and all Jabber packets are going out marked.

I´ve seen that you can create several policies that will match app/IP/port, so it is possible to deploy an enterprise-wide marking policy.

You can mark down (Best-Effort) any non-matching traffic as well.

The problem is that using it requires the user port to be set to trust DSCP wich is dangerous (users can mark up their FTP downloads).

I guess that by using dot1x on switchports and wireless and allowing only domain-registered computers to authenticate would make it safe; special-purpose ports would not be configured to trust.

Anyway, in my case the solution worked. Thanks!

Hi,

Can someone elaborate some more on the medianet metadata part? I've seen the medianet services interface service but cannot find out what needs to be done (if anything) on the network in order to have this work. Can medianet services interface tell switches how to mark packets safely??

Any doc references would be great!

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I would like a better explanation of medianet steps as it applies to Jabber for Windows, IP Communicator speaks CDP and marks packets.  We were able to get the server guys to elevate the rights in Win7 (a 3rd party app I believe) of CIPC so that it would mark the packet. The switches trust the markings because of CDP and us telling it to trust Cisco IP phones. I think it was a bit short sighted to not include both those features in Jabber for Windows.  It works and I could use it immediately.  Media requires certain code revs and configurations from my understanding; not something I want to do for 200 sites without testing thoroughly.

Second you would think at a minimum we could define the ports for video and audio separately (at least an audio only calls vs. video and audio) so that we would have some ability to distinguish the traffic before we start having to change our infrastructure to support medianet.  I can't put jabber out for users to try right now because of I can't guarantee quality, and Lync seems to be winning the battle at my organization because it has no competition.  We were able to get the Lync guys to define the ports for each so that we can mark them.

Hi,

You can specify port ranges on CUCM. Check the Jabber for Windows admin guide section, Quality of Service Configuration.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Thanks Maqsood!

I knew you could only define one range, but I guess I missed the part of the port range being divided between voice and video calls. 

Pedro,

Could you send me a copy of the Windows Policy in it's end state?

Randy Watson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pedro, 

can you put up a sample config for your accomplishment, I have the same dilema and require a good working expample to modify to my environment.

Thanks Randy

you are welcome to send it to my work address found in my profile

You can go to on Windows 7

home>run gpedit.msc and create a Policy/based Quality of Service

Suppport here:

http://www.networksetup.com/qos.htm

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd919203(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_configuring

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: