Views
Helpful
Replies

VM migration to BE7K-M5

SahilKhan8824
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have following IP Telephony applications running on BE7K-M4 and  would like to move these application to BE7K-M5 servers. Can anybody suggest how to move the VM to BE7K-M5 with minimum or no downtime. ? 

Existing IP Telephony Applications:

1. 1x Publisher ( Ver 10.5)

2.2x Subscribers  ( Ver 10.5)

3.2x CCX servers  ( Ver 10.5)

4. Total 1000 IP Phones

5. Esxi version 5.1.0 

Thanks

Sahil

9 Replies 9

You can use PCD for moving  Vm's  to new server.  Go through PCD admin guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/12_0_1/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-121a/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-121a_chapter_01011.html#reference_854CD389F09DFF36CB2662BF07C59D60

if its a part of Vcenter, I believe there is other option too for moving. 

Response Signature

Thank you Nithin , my goal is to move only Virtual machines from one host to anther host by keeping the same version of call manager and CCX .

Current VMs are not part of Vcenter server as its not using the shared storage.

Thanks

Sahil.

You can use PCD for moving the vms. Go through the PCD admin guide and check the compatibility. 

But for Cisco Unified Contact Center Express

Migrate Cluster (Install Application and Import Data from Old System)

Not Supported

CUCM u can move it with PCD, UCCX u need to go with normal  process backup, build new server and restore the backup. 

Response Signature

PCD is not meant to move virtual machines, it's meant to migrate, and while doing that, upgrade the version. Trying to do that with the same source and target version will fail.

PCD: Migration being source and destination same would fail at database instllation
CSCvg24063

OP, if you don't have vCenter or shared storage, you can simply shut-down the VMs and manually move the files. I assume that HW/ESXi and product/ESXi versions have been reviewed and they're compatible.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Thank You.I have created the following steps to move the VMs file to minimize the down time . Any suggestion on this  ?

Step 1: Backup the CUCM  cluster & CCX 

Step 2: Setup Esxi 6.5 on new host ,in this case BE7K-M5.

Step 3: Shutdown CUCM Pub VM and move the Publisher VM file first  to New host.

Step 4: PowerOn the Publisher VM on new host.

Step 5: Verify the system and DB replication , i hope there won't be any issue with the database issue ?

Step 6: Register all the phones to CUCM Publisher.

Step 7: Shutdown the CUCM Subscriber and move the Subscriber VMs files to new host and powerOn the Subscriber VMs.

Step 8: Register back all the phone to their respective subscriber. 

Follow the same steps to move the CCX VMs.

Thanks

Sahil

You can build a Vcenter with an evaluation license to do the migration. You would need to select the right version that supports both ESXi versions on both the M4 and the M5. You should not have to do anything manually for the phones to change the call manager to which they register. That should be happen automatically assuming you have an appropriate call manager group assigned to the device pool to which the phones are assigned. If you don't use Vcenter (Vcenter would be my strong recommendation), make sure you use rcp from the CLI of the ESXi servers. I have had problems with the file transfer when using external tools to move VM files around.

This is incorrect. It may not work, but the documentation clearly states 

Migrate Cluster (Install Application and Import Data from Old System)

From

10.x, 11.x, 12.x and 14

To

11.5, 12.x and 14

Also, we prefer PCD as the certificates are maintains, also the Cisco recommendation for servers which have had in-place upgrade and shared/common partition is full is to do a clean migration with PCD (effectively to get a clean install).

For what the OP asked about the advice given by Java is accurate as that was not related to a migration to a new VM and new version of the UC system. It was about moving the current VM as is from one ESXi host to another. Please do not use an old thread to post off-topic comments.

Response Signature