Yort Mantup
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have put together my plan for upgrading the following (virtualized):

CUCM  8.5.1.12900-7 to 10.5 

UCXN  8.5.1ES47.12900-47 to 10.5 

UCCX 8.5.1.11004-25 to 10.5

(1) UCS210  -- CUCM PUB,  UCXN PUB, UCCX (no HA)

(1) UCS210  -- CUCM SUB,  UCXN SUB

I plan to upgrade CUCM first,  UCXN second and then UCCX third and of course starting with the PUB each time.  My question is around the order.  When upgrading CM PUB, do I leave the SUB running as is or should I shut down the all services?? 

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Leave it running. Otherwise your phones will be dead completely :-0

I'd probably do CUCM and UCCX closer together as they are tightly integrated. The integration with Unity is typically a SIP trunk, so it will continue to tick over fine...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

Thanks, that does make sense upgrading CUCM and UCCX closer together.  Because this will be a refresh upgrade I am expecting a long period of downtime.  Do you see any issues with spending one weekend upgrading all nodes to 10.5 using the manual switch option and not switching to the new version the following weekend where I can then spend the time testing, etc.

I wouldn't recommend it... it's not really designed to be used that way. Any changes made in the meantime by yourself or users would be lost, and it may generate more issues when you try to switch version later on...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

There is a 99% chance that you may run into this defect during the switch version. Unfortunately it requires root access for a simple workaround.

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCup83263/?reffering_site=dumpcr

It would be better if you could also collect the install/upgrade logs if it fails while opening the case with us.

We have seen a lot of application user issues on CUIC, so I would suggest in moving to 10.5.1 SU1(where the workaround still needs to be performed) or 10.6 which is a more stable version.

Regards,

Arundeep

Arundeep,

Thank you for the response and information.  My plan was to  go from 8.5 to 10.5.1 SU1 which according to you will still require the work around.  Can the workaround only be done by TAC?  99% huh?   sounds like I should plan for it.  For UCCX I was going have the system automatically boot to the new version instead of manually switching it.  Does that make a difference?