cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change default Windows Administrator on UCCX 7.02 server

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

Is it ok to create a new administator account on a UCCX 7.02 server and remove the account "Administrator" ?  We have gone through two upgrades where I have asked for the installer to change from default and it never happened                  

5 Replies 5

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

To clarify, I am talking about the local Windows Administrator account.

You should move off of 7x completely.

Take this as an example of why.  RDP to your server and login with:

Username: crsadministrator

Password: NwY.t9g(f'L9[3C

I bet it works.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

the default windows admin "Administrator" ,   I asked TAC this same question years ago.  right click on the Local user name Administrator  and choose Rename.   I didn't find an issue with any services, however for upgrades over time the docs stated the name had to be "Administrator", so I changed it back before the upgrade.

the admin "CRSAdministrators"  apparently is used by CCX Node Manager and some SQL stuff.  So while Anthony's reply was to move off 7.x ... it may not be what you are able to do at the moment.    I would check with TAC to understand the steps and all the places you may have to go to change this one and the password.  I would think it can be done as long as you know what all it effects ....Anthony's password did not work on mine

lleweyiss wrote:

Anthony's password did not work on mine

I change this password on every 7x and lower box I work on.  Perhaps yours was one of them. 

There is another security flaw in 7x which you may want to move off of it for this reason as well.  If you make some person in your orgainzation an Admin on UCCX, they can view the MIVR logs files right from the control center web page in AppAdmin.  Embeded in the MIVR files are the AXL messages to CUCM, which include the AXL username and password in clear text.  If you're like most people and just use the CCMAdministrator account, or you did build a UCCX account but with super user rights (because there is no AXL only group by default), that person now has full access to your CUCM.  And even if you did limit the group to just AXL, AXL is still pretty powerful (ExecuteSQL anyone?), and that's bad news too.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

wow ,, thanks for the update on the 7.x version, greatly appreciated.   We are still on 7.x with plans to go to 8 soon.