Views
Helpful
Replies

CTIOS client not able to login for CTI Server

bilalghayad
Level 1
Level 1

Dears;

Now the PIM of the JTAPI is active, the CG is active and the CTIOS is active, when I start the CTIOS client, it displays at the CTIOS server the message (and this message proof that CTIOS client is communicate with the CTI Server at the right IP address and the right port, otherwise we will not see any message onthe CTI Server when this CTIOS client is starting):

ClientMgr[1]::OnConnectionClosed

And when I try to login using the agent id, the password and the extension which is registered to the CM and CTI mapped and configured at the device target in the configuration manager, it does not login and does not give even any message to declare where is the problem (just all buttons become not active for about 30 sec and then it come back to the original screen, I attached the snap shot of the two shapes it take).

CTIOS.JPG

CTIClient_Case1_Case2.JPG

The UCCE is version 7.5 the CUCM is version 7.0.2

Also at the configuration parameters of the device target, we are giving the following: /devtype CiscoPhone /DN 2001

I installed the CTIOS client and gave it the IP address of the PG which contains the CTIOS and the CG (as I have only one side, so I gave the IP address of PG-A for both A and B). Also at the CTIOS server, it insisted to give IP address for side B, so I gave a generic name which is not existed, but ofcourse I gave a correct IP address for side A. Also while doing the installation of the CTIOS server, I did not enable the security (because when I tried to enable the security, then it was displaying error when the CTIOS client trying to connect, although it ask to give self security while doing installation for the CTIOS client).

What could be the reason for this?

I am sure there is a communication between the CTIOS client and the CTI Server, because once I start the CTI Client, a message appear at the CTIServer "ClientMgr[1]::OnConnectionClosed ", this message is a proof of having communication. But where could be the wrong?

Am I am missing something that cause this problem?

Regards

Bilal

8 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Muhammad Raza
Level 3
Level 3

add ctios ip addresses in os host file.

Sent from Samsung tablet

Apologies for any typo

View solution in original post

Like Amir mentioned, in your agent machine where the CTIOS client is add the of the CTIOS server to the hosts file.  Once you do that and if it still fails can you add the CTIOS client log to this thread?

david

The best way is to ensure that the client uses the hostname and DNS lookup resolves the hostname to an IP address and that reverse lookup is also configured in DNS. The client does exactly that to ensure the connection is viable - you can see it in the trace.

From a DOS prompt, try both forward and reverse lookups.

If you don't have this set up in your system, configure the hosts file on the client with an entry.

On the server side, I make sure that DNS on the ADs for UCCE is set up with both forward and reverse lookup zones and always use hostnames.

Regards,

Geoff

It's normally in Program Files\Cisco\Desktop\logs.

If it's not there, just search the file system for ctios* and you'll find it.

bilalghayad wrote:

I did this already in the host file of my labtop but the problem stayed as it is.

You did what already? After adding the hosts entries for CTIOS A and B, make sure you use the hostnames in the registry.

Regards,

Geoff

Is it needed for the DNS lookup work?

If the system finds the entry in the hosts file, it will not contact the DNS. It is resolved.

Have you examined the ctios log file to see how it all works. You need to understand this part.

Is it working now?

Regards,

Geoff

First, I am not able to find a logs, maybe I have to check box or enable something while doing the CTIOS client installation?

No. logs are enabled. What happened to that "find" I suggested for "ctios*".

I forgot you were using CTIOS. The place the log files will be stored is configured in the registry. I have CAD so my place is different. What do you see here?

Now, regarding to the hostnames and IPs:

Is it not allowed to place the IP addresses directly while doing the installation of the CTI Server, so I have to use hostname and add this hostname in the hosts file in the PG server (where the CTIOS server is installed)?

That is NOT recommended. Why don't you check the documentation?

The Cisco documentation suggests you add the reverse lookup zone to your DNS on your UCCE ADs. The PG is a member of the UCCE domain, and therefore the integration of DNS-AD ensures the forward lookup is there. Simply use it. I always add the reverse lookup zone too. Why not?

Cisco recommend putting the PRIVATE addresses in DNS, but that is not my recommendation. I see no reason for this. PGA and PGB need their privates so I put them in the hosts file. But they certainly don't need to see the privates that RGA and RGB use.

The best practice is to use hostnames EVERYWHERE - public, privates and on the client. All your problems will disappear if you do this right.

Same thing to be done on the client? And to use the same hostname that I am placing in the server?

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "And to use the same hostname that I am placing in the server". The server has a name and an IP address. Put it in the local hosts file of the client and all your problems will disappear.

But, why it does not work if I used directly the IP addresses instead of the hostname?

Because of reverse lookup. If you would look at the client trace file you would understand.

Regards,

Geoff

* OK, I did this at the client machine and at the server machine.

No, not the server - at least not BEST PRACTICES. Please read carefully what I write.

Summary:

1. On the servers, since they are all in your UCCE domain, make them resolve the host names through the DNS running on the DC of the UCCE domain.

2. Use host files on servers only for the private addresses.

3. Configure the reverse lookup zone on your AD DNS so that nslookup on the IP address returns with the name of the box.

4. On the clients ... since they are surely in a totally different domain to ICM, configure a hosts file entry to the A and B CTIOS  and use the hostnames in the client config.

Regards,

Geoff

I am just trying to understand what is the usage of the reverse lookup zone in the UCCE?

No big deal. It's nice and symmetric. Why wouldn't you have it?

In other words, if we have the IP address, then why we need the PG name?

Why not? That's what a DNS (Domain Name Server) does. It resolves names to IP addresses, and IP addresses to names.

But if it's not you who configures the AD integrated DNS on the DCs, and you have to ask someone else to do it, then I understand.

About the log for the CTI, the TraceFileName is saying that it is at the %HOMEPATH%\CtiOsClientLog , I cleared them .. I will resend them when trying to login.

Did you change the client configuration to use hostnames and added the IP address - hostname mapping in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Regards,

Geoff

15 Replies 15

Muhammad Raza
Level 3
Level 3

add ctios ip addresses in os host file.

Sent from Samsung tablet

Apologies for any typo

It is already existed in the registry as u c below.

Why to be added in the host file? In which name?

Like Amir mentioned, in your agent machine where the CTIOS client is add the of the CTIOS server to the hosts file.  Once you do that and if it still fails can you add the CTIOS client log to this thread?

david

The best way is to ensure that the client uses the hostname and DNS lookup resolves the hostname to an IP address and that reverse lookup is also configured in DNS. The client does exactly that to ensure the connection is viable - you can see it in the trace.

From a DOS prompt, try both forward and reverse lookups.

If you don't have this set up in your system, configure the hosts file on the client with an entry.

On the server side, I make sure that DNS on the ADs for UCCE is set up with both forward and reverse lookup zones and always use hostnames.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff;

The best way is to ensure that the client uses the hostname and DNS lookup resolves the hostname to an IP address and that reverse lookup is also configured in DNS.

* I added one record in the hosts file as following:

10.180.22.135  CtiOsA

Actually from DOS prompt, I can ping CtiOsA and it gives the menitoned IP address and I can pint that IP address and it gives the CtiOsA

* Really this I did not understand it?

Regards

Bilal

If the system finds the entry in the hosts file, it will not contact the DNS. It is resolved.

Have you examined the ctios log file to see how it all works. You need to understand this part.

Is it working now?

Regards,

Geoff

I did this already in the host file of my labtop but the problem stayed as it is.

Where I can find the log of the CTIOS client at my labtop?

It's normally in Program Files\Cisco\Desktop\logs.

If it's not there, just search the file system for ctios* and you'll find it.

bilalghayad wrote:

You did what already? After adding the hosts entries for CTIOS A and B, make sure you use the hostnames in the registry.

Regards,

Geoff

Dears;

First, I am not able to find a logs, maybe I have to check box or enable something while doing the CTIOS client installation?

Is it not allowed to place the IP addresses directly while doing the installation of the CTI Server, so I have to use hostname and add this hostname in the hosts file in the PG server (where the CTIOS server is installed)?

Same thing to be done on the client? And to use the same hostname that I am placing in the server?

But, why it does not work if I used directly the IP addresses instead of the hostname?

Appreciate the kindly help.

Regards

Bilal

Could it be related to Silent Monitor?

I do not need Silent Monitor, but I am finding it in the directory as shown in the insert picture, and there are always logs in it.

If it is the reason, then how to disable it? From the installation?

Regards

Bilal

No. logs are enabled. What happened to that "find" I suggested for "ctios*".

I forgot you were using CTIOS. The place the log files will be stored is configured in the registry. I have CAD so my place is different. What do you see here?

That is NOT recommended. Why don't you check the documentation?

The Cisco documentation suggests you add the reverse lookup zone to your DNS on your UCCE ADs. The PG is a member of the UCCE domain, and therefore the integration of DNS-AD ensures the forward lookup is there. Simply use it. I always add the reverse lookup zone too. Why not?

Cisco recommend putting the PRIVATE addresses in DNS, but that is not my recommendation. I see no reason for this. PGA and PGB need their privates so I put them in the hosts file. But they certainly don't need to see the privates that RGA and RGB use.

The best practice is to use hostnames EVERYWHERE - public, privates and on the client. All your problems will disappear if you do this right.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "And to use the same hostname that I am placing in the server". The server has a name and an IP address. Put it in the local hosts file of the client and all your problems will disappear.

Because of reverse lookup. If you would look at the client trace file you would understand.

Regards,

Geoff

OK Geoff, thanks.

Put it in the local hosts file of the client and all your problems will disappear.

* Can u please explain for me the reverse lookup and how it use here, so I can ask our Windows Admin to fix this at the AD (Active Directory)?

I will check the logs and where it is located when I connect to the site, I need to have VPN connection as I leaved the site now.

Last point, is it important while doing installation for the CTIOS Server to place hostname instead of the IP address? Again, it has relation with Reverse Lookup that really I do not have a view about it, if u can just give me a small idea that I can start from it, to know how it effect here.

Appreciate ur kindly help.

Regards

Bilal

No, not the server - at least not BEST PRACTICES. Please read carefully what I write.

Summary:

1. On the servers, since they are all in your UCCE domain, make them resolve the host names through the DNS running on the DC of the UCCE domain.

2. Use host files on servers only for the private addresses.

3. Configure the reverse lookup zone on your AD DNS so that nslookup on the IP address returns with the name of the box.

4. On the clients ... since they are surely in a totally different domain to ICM, configure a hosts file entry to the A and B CTIOS  and use the hostnames in the client config.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff.

I am just trying to understand what is the usage of the reverse lookup zone in the UCCE?

It is understood the need to have resolving from the hostname to IP address, but the opposite (reverse nslookup) really this I do not know what kind of UCCE communication will need reverse lookup? In other words, if we have the IP address, then why we need the PG name?

This is what I am thinking.

By the way, in our communication here, u mean by the AD is the Active Directory, correct?

About the log for the CTI, the TraceFileName is saying that it is at the %HOMEPATH%\CtiOsClientLog , I cleared them .. I will resend them when trying to login.

Thanks

Regards

Bilal