cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable G722 Advertisement for Call Recording/Monitoring

Randall Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm troublshooting some call recording/monitoring issues and have come across many steps that reference disabling the "Advertise G.722 codec" in Enterprise Parameters for call manager.

Contact Center itself can only operate in G711 or G729 and I've validated when agents are on a call with their UCCX extension that they are using the G711 codec. Since UCCX cannot operate at G722 and my agents are taking calls are using G711, what is the reason why the G722 codec advertisement needs to be disabled?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco desk top does not support g722

CUCM 5.x and later have an Advertise G.722 Codec option in the enterprise parameter menu. Make sure you have disabled it. This is because UCCX Desktop Monitoring does not support G.722

codec.http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1001/products_tech_note09186a0080194ac2.shtml

Thanks, appreciate the response.

Understood that UCCX Desktop Monitoring does not support G.722, goes right along with UCCX only supporting G.711 or G.729. With only being able to use one of those codecs and NOT G.722, UCCX Desktop Monitoring shouldn't be able to use G.722 anyway.

That is the nature of my question. If UCCX doesn't even have the option to enable G.722 and calls connected through UCCX are G.711 (because we have UCCX set at G.711), why would you need to disable G.722 in CUCM if it would never use it anywyas?

Thanks.

Hi,

UCCX can operate either using the G.711 codec or the G.729 codec but this actually means the prompts and the recordings use either G.711 or G.729. Actually, nothing can prevent - as far as I know - an agent telephone from negotiating G.722 with the other endpoint if they both support it.

G.

Thank you, that is exactly what I am looking for. It seems to be more of a fail safe than anything else.

You don't have to disable it globally, there's that parameter on the phone level too.

G.

the other issue is that, phones which can support g722 will adverstise the g722 codec so that other g722 supported phones will try to make use of the codec by default . By turning off the advertised feature will stop codecs being used

I still don't think the original quesiton was answered.

Yes, we all understand nothing in UCCX-land supports G.722.  The question is, why do we have to disable it on the agent phones at all?  If UCCX doesn't support it, the media legs should just negotiate to G.711 or G.729.  Having to disable G.722 prevents the agent from using G.722 when they are calling someone else in the office outside of UCCX-land.

So I'll re-ask

What actually breaks in UCCX-land (verified broken, not safe-guard/knee-jerk adherence to some documentation that has no explanation other than "it doesn't work") when G.722 is enabled on an agent phone?

We're very interested in allowing agents to have non-UCCX G.722 calls, as we'd like to offer them a higher quality call when talking to other folks in the company, as well as when they call in to our audio conferencing service (which supports G.722 natively).

Hi Paul,

It's not the G722 to UCCX that you need to worry about, because the IP Phone will negotiate G711 and not G722.  Both parties have to support it in order for it to be used.  An example of this is an IP Phone calling a UCCX trigger and interacting with a script.

However, it's the internal calls to Agents that you need to worry about.  An example of this is an internal employee calling the Help Desk and speaking to an Agent.  At this point, the two IP Phones will negotiate G722 and when the UCCX system tries to monitor or record that conversation, it cannot.

UCCX can only mon/rec G729 or G711.  Therefore, if you didn't care about UCCX based mon/rec, then leave G722 enabled.  It doesn't break your UCCX as a whole, it only prevents you from mon/rec those specific calls.  Calls inbound from the PSTN would likely be G711, and would still work for mon/rec.

Does that make sense?

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

EDIT: Added some more clarity.

That makes much more sense.

So if I only want to record/monitor agents on what I know will always be a G.711 or G.729 call leg (MGCP call leg for an inbound call, for instance), I should be able to enable G.722 advert without issue.  We wouldn't record internal calls, but rather, just the external calls from our customers to our contact center.  Our internal helpdesk isn't using UCCX, so there's no worry there.