cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to return control to parent application from invoked child app

shayanahmad96
Level 1
Level 1

I am triggering a child application from my parent application using subdialog invoke. Can i return control back to the parent application before the child application's flow completes. I am looking for a way to send a trigger from parent app to child and force exit child app. Any help will be appreciated. 

5 Replies 5

Not to my knowledge. I experimented with child applications, and there were some oddities that caused me to shy away from that. If you have queued calls, steps like 'Delay' aren't interruptible in the child application. That can cause agents to stay in reserved state while waiting for the delay step to complete.

The other part of your query was about information passing. I prefer to use 'Session' information for this. You can use the global call identifier as the key. That will follow your call as long as the call leg where it entered your network stays up.

Thank you for replying Elliot. If we don’t have delay, rather let’s say the child application is playing an audio prompt can I send a trigger from the parent app to stop the child app during the prompt rather than waiting for the prompt to be completed ?

I haven't tested it, but I feel pretty strongly that the answer is no. My understanding is nothing is interruptible in the child application. This isn't the case if you use a 'call subflow', but it is with 'trigger application'.

I don't see how this would be possible as the call has already left that parent logic. Now, if you had some polling that you were doing in the child application and an external processing updating this poll that would work, but that's not what you're asking.

david

Dmytro Benda
Spotlight
Spotlight

Well, you can try to catch the event in the child app with the Hotevent element, however the is a question how to generate this event in the parent application. Typically we can generate an event with a Throw element, but when you use Subdialog Invoke, the call flow logic will be in your child app, and the parent one will just wait until the child app finishes and return back to the parent app. 

Can you please provide us more details about your situation? What do you try to do exactly? I mean please explain the case and circumstances when the parent app must send the trigger\interruption to the child one. If, for example, it is a client\caller request to return back to parent app, then you can use a Global\Local Hotlink. 

My Cisco Unified Communications Blog