Views
Helpful
Replies

ICM and ivr scripting

dinesh joshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please help me to design IVR 7.x and ICM 7.x scripting. On the basis of CED enter by caller ICM need to play different ivr prompt and menu option

for the caller. IVR is providing all prompting and caller interaction anc icm is doing call routing in the basis of CED.

Please suggest me, do we need to create different ivr script for each menu option and icm will run that ivr script with help of pallete "run vru script" on the basis of CED passed by ivr.

Can we create a single ivr script for all the option but how icm will forward the call on that particular place of ivr script on the basis of CED.

Please provide me if any sample icm and ivr script is available.

Regards,

DJ

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You're asking for way to much here, so I will try to tackle just a few.  You'll have to do a lot of reading on your own.  First, there isn't a right way to do scripting, but there are a lot of wrong ways.  That being said, I prefer to leave all the decision making in ICM.  For example, you have a two level menu each with 3 options. Here would be the call flow:

Call arrives at ICM.

ICM sends to IVR Menu1.

IVR Menu1 provides 3 options caller presses option 1, IVR sends call back to ICM.

ICM call types the option 1 and sends the call to IVR Menu2Option1.

etc.

The other school of thought is that once you send the call to the IVR do all your prompting and just return the call to ICM when you need to send the call some where else (e.g. agent, VM, etc.).  The only problem here is that you might lose some reporting if the caller hangs up in the IVR.

david

View solution in original post

Call comes into a route point in Call Manager - it requests a route. Dialed number - call type - scheduled script.

Now your script checks the IVR PG to see if it's on-line (you probably have two IVR PGs, so this can deal with one of them being down). If on-line, translation route the call to the IVR PG.

Now the call can run the IVR application/script through "Run External Script" and call data is passed through the trans route. You can treat it, and queue it - should an agent become available and your IVR script is interruptible, the agent can get the call.

It will do an implicit trans route back - the call is known on both peripherals and will be tied together. Data from the IVR will come back.

As David says, prompt in the IVR for the menu selection (say it's 1 for Sales, 2 for Service). In your script check the CED and branch accordingly - queue to the appropriate SG and loop, playing music in queue until an agent becomes available,

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Dinesh,

Like both gentlemen mentioned you have multiple ways and depending on your needs and ease some keep the call in IVR till the end of prompting and collecting and for those who like more granular reporting etc sends call back and forth.

The other question if I understand you are asking is every time you send a call from ICM do you need a seperate IVR script or can ICM send the call to middle of IVR script ?

It will always start at the top of IVR script and you can have seperte script for menu choice 1, 2 etc or you can have one big IVR script and every time you pass back you check for that variable and go to a specific spot on your IVR script.  If this is still confusing my recommendation is you start buildig and you would know what we are talking and its pretty straight forward.

Good luck,

Baseer.

7 Replies 7

You're asking for way to much here, so I will try to tackle just a few.  You'll have to do a lot of reading on your own.  First, there isn't a right way to do scripting, but there are a lot of wrong ways.  That being said, I prefer to leave all the decision making in ICM.  For example, you have a two level menu each with 3 options. Here would be the call flow:

Call arrives at ICM.

ICM sends to IVR Menu1.

IVR Menu1 provides 3 options caller presses option 1, IVR sends call back to ICM.

ICM call types the option 1 and sends the call to IVR Menu2Option1.

etc.

The other school of thought is that once you send the call to the IVR do all your prompting and just return the call to ICM when you need to send the call some where else (e.g. agent, VM, etc.).  The only problem here is that you might lose some reporting if the caller hangs up in the IVR.

david

Hi David,

Thanks for your prompt response.

My thought was that ICM can not transfer any call back to the IVR in the middle of the IVR script or you can say any IVR menu option thats why i was planing to create seprate ivr script for each CED option.

Could you please tell me the ICM pallate which can transfer the call back to ivr in any particular menu option.

Regards,

DJ

Call comes into a route point in Call Manager - it requests a route. Dialed number - call type - scheduled script.

Now your script checks the IVR PG to see if it's on-line (you probably have two IVR PGs, so this can deal with one of them being down). If on-line, translation route the call to the IVR PG.

Now the call can run the IVR application/script through "Run External Script" and call data is passed through the trans route. You can treat it, and queue it - should an agent become available and your IVR script is interruptible, the agent can get the call.

It will do an implicit trans route back - the call is known on both peripherals and will be tied together. Data from the IVR will come back.

As David says, prompt in the IVR for the menu selection (say it's 1 for Sales, 2 for Service). In your script check the CED and branch accordingly - queue to the appropriate SG and loop, playing music in queue until an agent becomes available,

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff for your help

Thanks David for your help

Hi Dinesh,

Like both gentlemen mentioned you have multiple ways and depending on your needs and ease some keep the call in IVR till the end of prompting and collecting and for those who like more granular reporting etc sends call back and forth.

The other question if I understand you are asking is every time you send a call from ICM do you need a seperate IVR script or can ICM send the call to middle of IVR script ?

It will always start at the top of IVR script and you can have seperte script for menu choice 1, 2 etc or you can have one big IVR script and every time you pass back you check for that variable and go to a specific spot on your IVR script.  If this is still confusing my recommendation is you start buildig and you would know what we are talking and its pretty straight forward.

Good luck,

Baseer.

Thanks Baseer for your help,

Now i will start building configuration.