Views
Helpful
Replies

Keep Chat Session Active while browsing web pages

extraco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have a Cisco TAC Case open for this question (SR 684684389) and have been directed to DevNet since this is out of their scope. Please bare with me as I'm a network admin, not a developer. I have a website with Cisco Chat powered through social miner. After a user enters in all of the form fields and starts a chat with an agent then decides to continue surfing that same web site, the social miner chat disappears and ends the chat on the agent side as well as the customer side. The only way for the customer to chat again is to enter all of the customers information in the form fields and establish a new chat session. Is there any way to have it where the chat session stays alive and active even while surfing web pages on that same web site or is this something that I need to get the web developers to fix?

Thanks,

David Sanders

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi David,

Thanks for confirming this.

The 'classic' pop-over chat UI is supposed to be launched in a separate popup window so that the end user can browse away from the original webpage while still being able to chat via the popup window. Embedding it via an iFrame will make this page load as a 'child' of the parent webpage - it will therefore be unloaded completely when the browser unloads the original webpage, leading to chat session disconnect.

If you are interested in actually embedding a 'chat bubble' inside the original webpage, we are just about to launch a completely new customer-side chat UI that allows you to do exactly this. Watch out for announcements regarding CCX release 11.6(2) which is expected to be out by end of July which will have this capability.

Thanks,

Nagendra U M

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

namahesh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

After a user enters in all of the form fields and starts a chat with an agent then decides to continue surfing that same web site, the social miner chat disappears and ends the chat on the agent side as well as the customer side.

I am trying to understand the way in which SocialMiner chat has been embedded inside the customer website.

If you are using the out-of-box chat from SocialMiner, upon submitting the form, the customer sees a browser popup (a separate window) where the chat interface is launched. This means, the customer is free to browse the original website without disturbing the ongoing chat session in the separate popup window.

Does this make sense for you? I mean, do you see the chat UI in a separate popup window upon submitting the chat form, or is it something that is embedded inside the same web page? Any screenshots etc. will help me understand this better.

Thanks,

Nagendra U M

Nagendra,

I honestly believe this to be a Web Developer Issue because it appears that the web developer has created a static frame to which the customer cannot move the chat window. It appears to be embedded to that specific web page. The way that I would expect this to behave would be as you mentioned above with a pop-up window that opens a totally separate window so that the customer can continue to browse the website while not interrupting the current chat session. To me, this is how most companies have their chat session setup. I have pushed back with the web development team to see what they come back with, but I believe that creating a pop-up window should be achievable with the out-of-box chat from SocialMiner. I have included an image of what the form field and chat session look like when on the website.

Thanks,

David Sanders

Form Field.PNG

Chat Window.PNG

Hi David,

Thanks for confirming this.

The 'classic' pop-over chat UI is supposed to be launched in a separate popup window so that the end user can browse away from the original webpage while still being able to chat via the popup window. Embedding it via an iFrame will make this page load as a 'child' of the parent webpage - it will therefore be unloaded completely when the browser unloads the original webpage, leading to chat session disconnect.

If you are interested in actually embedding a 'chat bubble' inside the original webpage, we are just about to launch a completely new customer-side chat UI that allows you to do exactly this. Watch out for announcements regarding CCX release 11.6(2) which is expected to be out by end of July which will have this capability.

Thanks,

Nagendra U M

Hi Nagendra,

Thanks so much for the information. I have passed this information onto the web developers so that they can hopefully make that change to be a classic pop-over chat. Could you please further explain the 'chat bubble'? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

Thanks,

David Sanders

Hi David,

"Chat Bubble" is an entirely new out-of-box chat client (for end-users) that will be available from release 11.6(2) onwards (ETA: End of July 2018). It is exactly meant for purposes of embedding inside existing web pages (instead of a pop-up window based mechanism that is there in the current 'classic' chat UI).

If you want more info or a demo, contact the product manager Shantanu <snandi@cisco.com>.

Thanks,

Nagendra U M

Hi Nagendra,

Does Bubble Chat still suffer from the same issue, whereby you start a bubblechat but when you navigate to a different webpage the bubblechat is lost? 

Kind regards,

Mark

I have a customer with the same problem with bubble chat.  As soon as the customer clicks on another link on the website the chat is ended and closes.  They are trying to use chat to walk their customers through using their website so instructing them to click things and this is closing the chat window.   Bubble chat should stay persistent as long as they remain on the company's website but there is most likely some code that needs to be added to the CSS or a on every page they want this to persist on.  Unfortunately, there is nothing in the dev guide for this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: