cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

to dequeue or not to dequeue

mr_cisco_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I wrote a test script to do the following.  If the caller is in queue, they have the option to press 1 to be sent to voicemail.  Is a dequeue good practice after the redirect?  I'm thinking in terms of call reporting.  Or is it better to use set contact info instead to mark the call handled?

12 Replies 12

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no need to dequeue the call before redirecting to voicemail, setting contact info to handled will make the calls as overflow out in the reports for redirected calls.

OK.  What is the correct usage for dequeue eg putting a contact from one queue to another?

I commonly have overflow queuing where I'll taking a call that first comes into CSQ A.  After a certain amount of time the caller is then also queued to CSQ B.  I.e. the caller is now queued in both CSQ A and CSQ B.  The first agent that comes available in either CSQ A or B will take the call.

If you instead wanted the caller to only exist in CSQ B then you could dequeue the caller from CSQ A.

I can't think of a situation where you have to dequeue a caller or where it's best practice to dequeue a caller, it depends on your design and business requirements.

I use a callback feature that requires dequeuing the call. 

If I don't dequeue, the next agent available could pick up the call while the caller is going through the process of setting up a callback. We like doing this because it moves the callback call to the end of the queue and prioritizes callers that are willing to hold and therefore probably have a more urgent need for support. 

This cover when I use dequeue. When I want the possibility of an agent to get the call I dequeue the call. It's very possible that between the agent press 1 to go to VM and sending the call to VM that an agent can become available at that moment. It's rare, but it happens. If you're doing some other routing and want to remove humans out of it, then dequeue the call.

david

Good info, thanks.

Agreed with David. 

If you're directly forwarding a call to voicemail, you really don't need to dequeue. 

Got it.  But if you wanted to track in the reports which calls were transferred to voicemail, would a dequeue help?  I believe reports track which calls were dequeued.  If there is a better way let me know.

So I would say that this is a business decision. If a call goes to VM, maybe your business decides to set the contact as handled instead or abandoned as you were not able to talk to them specifically. I don't think there's really a best practice in this particular case, ultimately if it's important to track them via UCCX do so. However, I would venture to say it might make more sense to track them via the VM system (e.g. Unity) because there's a chance that even though the customer chose to leave a VM, that they change their mind and hang up.

david

I found the answer to my own question.  See here:

http://bit.ly/2oZJ7t7

Which report displays information on menu choices?

You can create a custom report to show menu choices. Use the Set Session Info step in a workflow to store the custom variables entered by the callers. The contents of such custom variables are stored in the customVariable fields in the CCDR. Use the information in the CCDR customVariable fields when you create custom reports.

The following is an example of how to prepare a report to show information for a menu with three choices (1, 2, and 3):

1. For a workflow, define a variable of type session and name it this_session.

2. Place a Get Contact Info step at the beginning of the workflow.

3. Set the Session attribute to variable this_session.

4. Define a Menu step that has three branches and place a Set Enterprise Call Info step in each branch.

5. In the General tab of the Set Enterprise Call Info step, click Add.

6. In the branch for caller-choice 1, enter 1 in the Value field, and choose Call.PeripheralVariable1 from the Name drop-down list.

7. In the branch for caller-choice 2, enter 2 in the Value field, and choose Call.PeripheralVariable2 from the Name drop-down list.

8. In the branch for caller-choice 3, enter 3 in the Value field, and choose Call.PeripheralVariable3 from the Name drop-down list.

9. Create a custom report that will show the values of the customVariable1, customVariable2, and customVariable3 fields in the CCDR.

If calls are to be transferred between workflows and multiple menu choices can be made for a single session, take care to preserve previously entered menu choices. For example, place a Get Session Info step at the beginning of the workflow. If the _ccdrVar1 variable is null, there were no previous entries. If it is not null, when you add a new choice, determine a format for associating a menu choice to a sequence number. In this way, you will be able to prepare accurate reports.

Good info, thanks.

Good feedback.  Thanks.