Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCE 7.5

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi  All,

We are using Contact Center Enterprise version 7.5 which consists of AW,IPIVR,Proggers (CTI OS, Logger ,PG & Call Router) installed on same MCS hardware.

We need to take backup of all the configuration & database from all servers.How can we achieve this.Do we require external tape drive or separate server on which we need to run SFTP or FTP services.

Please advice .

regds,

aman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's why people go to Networkers (aka Cisco Live).

They always run a presentation on "Disaster Recovery Planning for Cisco ICM and Unified Contact Center Enterprise and Hosted Editions". If you can get presentation BRKCCT-1109 from a colleague who went, you will find advice like I gave.

Regards,

Geoff

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

1. Make an export of the Cisco Systems Inc. registry key from proggerA, proggerB, AW/HDS and save them somewhere secure.

2. Use SQL Server Enterprise to make a backup of proggerA _sideA. Save it somewhere secure. You don't need to do side B because you can synchronize A -> B and allow cfs to replicate historical data across.

3. Use SQL Server Enterprise to make a backup of AW/HDS _hds. Save it somewhere secure. You don't need to backup the AW DB because you can always "Initialize local database" from the logger.

You should have a strategy to do this on a weekly basis. Do you have just one AW/HDS? This is probably the critical database to backup. The loggers are duplexed, so if you lose one, you can rebuild the other and sync. If you lose the AW/HDS you have 14 days (normal retention time) to rebuild that machine and restore the HDS DB from the SQL backup, and let replication ensure it catches up to the loggers.

If you have two HDS as is normal, back them both up.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Goeff,

Thanks for info.

Can u provide me the Cisco document which gives me detail of what u are saying?

We have only one AW in setup.

regds,

aman

That's why people go to Networkers (aka Cisco Live).

They always run a presentation on "Disaster Recovery Planning for Cisco ICM and Unified Contact Center Enterprise and Hosted Editions". If you can get presentation BRKCCT-1109 from a colleague who went, you will find advice like I gave.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Aman,

Did you get any response on this? I'm facing the same problem, I'd like to schedule a regular backup and I want to know if there is a document to use as a guide for this. It's really difficult to find detailed documentation on this.

Regards,

Fernando

Hi,

there's no official document for that, apart from the Cisco Live! (aka Networkers) presentation, mentioned by Geoff. To be quite honest with you, if you know ICM, you know perfectly well what needs to be backed up.

1. CUCM - it has its own disaster recovery solution.

2. VRU: IP IVR - same as CUCM, CVP - similar

3. ICM: already answered by Geoff. Registry and Database. It's not that hard.

G.

Hi Gergely,

Thks for your answer, I'm pretty new on this topic (UCCE) and I was hoping to find some document to help me, but with the info obtained from here, I think I'm able to start working on this.

Regards,

I'll start with a simple suggestion that seems to escape a lot of people:

It makes ZERO sense to back up the awdb.  Reason being  you would never (ever) restore any such backup.

The AWDB contains two types of data.  Configuration, and real-time data.

The config data is updated constantly, whenever you insert, modify, or delete agents, skills, scripts, etc.  Real-time data is refreshed every ten seconds. If anything ever happened to the awdb (corrupted, suspect, etc.) you'd simply drop the database, re-create it with icmdba or by running setup from \icm\bin, and let it re-initialize automatically when you re-start the distributor service.

Loggers are duplex.  If one side fails, you can always re-build it and sync from the survivor.  Loggers usually only retain 14 days (default) of historical data, so it's easiest to just let Recovery sync any missing data from the duplex partner, versus restoring from backup (opinions vary on this.  Above is just my own, and not a specific recommendation from Cisco Systems, Inc.). 

You might make it a point to save off ICMDBA exports of the  configuration data.  If I owned an ICM/UCCE, I'd set up a job to do this  every day or two.

HDSes make the most sense (to me) to back up.

The Cisco BOM actually states:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/ipcc_enterprise/ipccenterprise8_0_1/user/guide/icm80bom.pdf

in section 3.1.7:

Unqualified Backup Options

Backup device/software option decisions (and procedures) are left to the end customer; no backup products are explicitly qualified by Cisco.

Caution:

For  performance  reasons,  backups  must  be  performed  outside  of  business  hours  or  during

periods  of  lowest  activity.    Cisco  does  not  provide  recommendations  for  specific  backup

devices or products, but internal and other direct attached devices might have restrictions on

which platforms they are compatible with.  Consult your backup product vendor to determine

options for internal or external backup storage.

Truly, you can use whatever SQL backup you'd like, be it from Microsoft or a third party.

Here's an (old) technote about backing up a SQL2000 database:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1001/products_tech_note09186a00802d5e98.shtml

I don't have the exact steps for SQL2005, but it's similar.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: