Views
Helpful
Replies

What is Survivablity in UCCE ?

4rajnivashisht
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Please help me to under stand the survivablity in detail. i mean i want to appriciate Survivablity. in doucments i have read that survivablity take place in case of wan failure(what does that means ? CVP Isolation from ingress gateways) if that so then what survivablity treatment we can give to the call ?

Thanks,

Rajni Vashisht

22 Replies 22

I thought we already covered it in the same thread, voicemail pilot would just be a number.

any ways below is what you should have on your ingress gateways where surv is configured, 15000 is my voicemail pilot over here.

application
  service survivability flash:survivability.tcl
  param open-hours-time0 0123456:0000-2359
  param open-hours-agent0 15000

then reload the surv application using below command:

call application voice load survivability 

now make sure your voice gateway has dial-peer to find route voice-mail number, if not set this up using Dial-Peer.

and last thing, i read the voicemail server does not set RTCP packets so in order to prevent media-inactivity timer from kicking please set up criteria so that gateway can lookout for both RTP and RTCP and not only RTCP for media inactivity criterion.

Thanks Chintan  !!

this information is very useful, please answer below my  questions :

1. what is the default timer for kicking survivability and how we can change this timer ?
  2. in the case of cvp is isolated form gateway can we send the call to other side ingress gateway or cvp server ?
  3. what is RTCP and where it is used in survivability ?
  4. how to modify the Survivability.tcl, or how to make changes in survivability ?

Thanks,

Rajni Vashisht

how to modify the Survivability.tcl, or how to make changes in survivability

The normal way is to do this on the Ops Console, where the Gateway download files have been installed. Install a free TFTP daemon. (Search Google for Tftpd64-4.50-setup.exe)

• Copy the TCL file
  • Edit with your favourite tool
  • Put it where TFTP can see it
  • Jump on the gateway and pull down the modified file into flash using TFTP
  • Load the application again
  • Test.

This is not supported though. Cisco claim you should not modify it. The TCL file is designed to be driven by changes to the params you give it in the service section. You should be able to do everything that way, but you need to read the file to understand what the options/params do. It's useful to see the "puts" strings in the router - I think this is "debug voip ivr script".

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_IOS_Voice_Troubleshooting_and_Monitoring_--_Tcl_IVR_Troubleshooting

Regards,
Geoff

The point number 4th Geoff already answered in a cleaned way (which i am still learning from him :)).

1)  what is the default timer for kicking Survivability and how we can change this timer ?

It depends on you version of IOS what you are running.

The timer is basically decided from the multiplication of the two values on the gateway which are

ip rtcp report interval (in miliseconds)

and

#gateway

timer receive-rtcp timer

so multiplication of both gives you a second in millisecond gateways waits before receiving rtcp messages from other side of devices.

if no rtcp received, the gateway detects it as media-inactivity and drops the call.

By default gateway looks for only RTCP messages(a part of RTP protocol)

but you can use below command to ask gateway to listen for both RTP and RTCP:

#gateway

media-inactivity-criteria all

2) in the case of cvp is isolated form gateway can we send the call to other side ingress gateway or cvp server?

like i said earlier you can transfer the call to any number which your gateway can reach to using dial-peer.

3) what is RTCP and where it is used in survivability ?

rtcp messages are part of RTP protocol. you can do some google for them.

apart from that, survivability also has a parameter which you can describe to enable/disable media inactivity at survivability level:

#               service survivability
#                   paramspace callfeature med-inact-det enable

more on media inactivity at here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/voice/ivr/configuration/guide/tcl_c/ivrapp07.html

Dont get confused with Survivability and ICM managed transfers in CVP. they are totally different topic.

Survivabilty is going to kick in when a gateway detects a failure of CVP, so to prevent the call from abrupt disconnect cisco gives you survivability.tcl file to recover the CVP failure and transfer the call to alternate destination.

CCB also uses survivability.tcl to keep the caller leg alive and for the callback to customer i think.

Now coming to the ICM managed CVP transfers, you will use this when you have to transfer the call to the destination other than CCE agent, this destination can be within your network like voicemail or huntgroup or a PSTN terminations like toll-free or other toll numbers.

This is genrally done using label node in ICM script, when call executes this node the label(generally a phone number) configured in the node will be passed back to the CVP to connect the caller to, CVP with its dial-plan chooses the egress gateway which can handle the outbound call leg and eventually connects the caller to the number defined in label node. if the label is voicemail pilot or hunt-group number it can utilize the call manager trunks to connect to caller to.

look at here to understand more on the same topic:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/customer_voice_portal/srnd/10_5/CCVP_BK_C17804D9_00_cisco-unified-customer-voice-portal/CCVP_BK_C17804D9_00_cisco-unified-customer-voice-portal_chapter_01110.html#CCVP_TP_I59F059D_00

Thanks Chintan !!

Request to tell me the call flow and configuration require for blind and consultive transfer from agent phone ?

>> also please tell me what will be the difference if the agent is transfering call from ip phone and agent desktop?

Thanks,

Rajni Vashisht

if you don't mind please start new thread for it as this one already looks dense :).

Hi Chintan,

There were some great inputs you had provided and it clarifies lot of questions around CVP survivability tcl. 

Heartfelt thank you for the extra work you did to help others.

With Regards,
Pramodh Kumar S

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: