cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why is UCCX Call.CallerEnteredDigits always null?

jim-j
Level 3
Level 3

Based on the info here it looks like the Call.CallerEnteredDigits variable would contain the digits that the caller entered. I thought this would be an easy way to report on what menu options the caller took. However if I debug my script this variable is always null (I checked by using the Get Enterprise Call Info step and assigning the value of Call.CallerEnteredDigits to a normal string variable).

Does anyone know how to use Call.CallerEnteredDigits in a script and/or for CUIC reporting? I assume I need to use the "Call Custom Variables Report" to be able to see this variable.

I'm running a UCCX HA Pair 12.5.1 ES03.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think the main thing is, you are assuming this field automatically holds caller entered digits, but it doesn't...unfortunately.

You'll need to stuff the digits in there yourself, which could be a good thing, since you can control what's in there, but also a bad thing, because you'll need to make all kinds of decisions about what to put in there.  E.g., If someone presses 9 to repeat, then selects 1, do you record the 9 and the 1 or just the resulting 1?

Additionally, you stated you want this in the Call Custom Variable report, however, if you look at the view, this is not a field you can add to that report.  You'd need to write a custom report, I do believe, in order to have this data show up.

Alternatively, now that you know you need to use the Set Enterprise Call Info step to store the data yourself, you might as well just store it in a field which does show up in the CCV report. E.g., CCV1 - 10.

Good luck with this, and let us know if you end up achieving your goal.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think the main thing is, you are assuming this field automatically holds caller entered digits, but it doesn't...unfortunately.

You'll need to stuff the digits in there yourself, which could be a good thing, since you can control what's in there, but also a bad thing, because you'll need to make all kinds of decisions about what to put in there.  E.g., If someone presses 9 to repeat, then selects 1, do you record the 9 and the 1 or just the resulting 1?

Additionally, you stated you want this in the Call Custom Variable report, however, if you look at the view, this is not a field you can add to that report.  You'd need to write a custom report, I do believe, in order to have this data show up.

Alternatively, now that you know you need to use the Set Enterprise Call Info step to store the data yourself, you might as well just store it in a field which does show up in the CCV report. E.g., CCV1 - 10.

Good luck with this, and let us know if you end up achieving your goal.

@Anthony Holloway wrote:

Ah, so that's why this technote doesn't even mention Call.CallerEnteredDigits. Makes me wonder why they created Call.CallerEnteredDigits in the first place, just to confuse me?

My thinking was I'd use two variables (CCV1 & 2). CCV1 would store the trigger # (some of my apps have multiple triggers and some triggers may go to different menus). CCV2 would store the string of digits entered. If the caller just entered one digit (1 for example) the variable would simply hold string "1". If the caller kept pressing 9 to replay because they like the sound of my voice the variable might hold "9,9,9,9,1" (if they repeated four times before pressing one). This would allow my customer to run a Call Custom Variable report and play with the results in Excel. For example they could see the entire menu selection breadcrumb trail, they could use Excel just to strip off the first and/or last digit (if they only care about the first or last digit entered), they could sort the digits entered column by length to see how many times callers make more than one selection...  But saving the entire string instead of just the first or last digit it saves me from guessing incorrectly which digit my customers care about.

Do you see any problems with or have any suggestions for my plan?

This product, UCCX, moonlights as IPIVR as well, and as such, there are a handful of things which don't make any sense. 

I think your approach should be just fine.