Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing and configuring 1000v

vaishali_palkar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have downloaded Nexus1000v.4.0.4.SV1.3 and trying to install it.

Installation works fine till I reach the step to register 1000v plug-in on vcenter server.

"new plugin" is always disabled.

I tried command : show vmware vc extension-key on switch console.

It show extension-id :Cisco_Nexsus_1000v_1203930214

What may be the reason , I am not able to register the plugin ?

I cannot proceed futher.

I hope somebody will help me solving this issue.

Thanks

Vaishali

32 Replies 32

Yes, that should work too

This vib worked and now vem is installed.

But after

Note : I am installing VSM and VEM on the same machine.

But show module does not  display VEM after adding host to DVS.

Please see the attached file.

What is going wrong ?

I have seen it take a few minutes to show up on the VSM. You could also try to run vem status from the ESX host cli and also try restarting the vem with a vem stop and then vem start.

Have you created an uplink port profile and added a pnic from the host to this uplink? Without that, the module will not come up. Additionally, are you running in L2 or L3 more?

thanks,

sachin

I am running in L2 mode.

I have created port profiles and added to pnic.

From ESX host cli , vem status give me following info:

VEM modules are loaded

Switch Name    Num Ports   Used Ports  Configured Ports  MTU     Uplinks 

vSwitch0       32          3           32                1500    vmnic3  

DVS Name       Num Ports   Used Ports  Configured Ports  Uplinks 

n1000v         256         52          256               vmnic2,vmnic1,vmnic0

VEM Agent (vemdpa) is running

Have you specified the control and packet vlans in the svs domain?

Also are those vlans allowed in the upstream switch for the physical nics?

Some additional tips for troubleshooting the module bring up are documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0_4_s_v_1_3/troubleshooting/configuration/guide/n1000v_trouble_5modules.html

thanks,

sachin

Also make sure you have the control and the packet vlans defined on the upstream switch to which vmnic0-4 connect since your VSM network interfaces might still be on the vSwitch. In case these interfaces connect to two different switches u'll have to define the control and packet vlans on those switches (if they are not l2 connected u might have to define the vlans on the connecting switches too).

Also make sure you have marked your control and packet vlan as system vlan in the uplink port-profile.

Can you post the running config from the VSM?

./Abhinav

VEM is now installed fine.

I am trying to trunk the ports using port-channel , connected Nexus 5k switch.

The 2 ports on Cisco 5k side are trunked using LACP.

I can see the LACP packtes sent from Nexus 5k side , but from nv1000 nexus side , no packtes.

I have attached the file for port status/ configuration from Nexus 1000nv side.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

So did you configure your "system-uplink" port-profile to use "channel-group auto mode active" if you have configured it as a LACP port-channel?  Just out of curiosity, are you configuring a regular Port-Channel from the server up to the N5K or are you doing a vPC to a pair of N5Ks?  If you can provide a little more details or a "show port-channel summary", that will give us more information to help with your issue.

Hi ,

I am using only 1 5k nexus switch .So no VPCs.

There is something wrong with system-uplink profile.

In the assigned interfaces , I can ports that I added to port-channel.

I tried to do "no inherit port-profile" for int eth3/2 and eth3/3.

But it does not work.

Did you get a chance to look at the attached file ?

Vaishali,

Why would you not want the Ethernet interfaces to inherit the System Port Profile?  That's how they're normally configured.

Please attach the following so we can better assist you.

1. From your 1000v "show run"

2. From your 1000v "show cdp neighbors"

3. From your N5K "show run"

Thanks,

Robert

Here is the required information :

Note : Po5 from Nexus5000 switch is used for LACP.

Vaishali,

I took a look at your config and its a bit of a mess

1.  You shouldn't be configuring your ethernet interfaces manually.  The whole point of Port Profiles is to configure a "template" for your interfaces and allow them to inherit them.

2.  Of your 4 uplink Port Profiles (type "ethernet") only one us using a channel group command.  In order to use Multple adapters from ANY single host  you MUST use either (LACP, Static Port Channel or MAC Pinning).

3. You only have 2 VLANs defined - VLAN 1 and VLAN 20, however in your uplink port profiles you're ownly allowing 2-10.  Since VLAN 1 is your control & Packet VLAN you're not allowing that necessary VLAN across your uplinks.

I suggest you read the Getting Started & Install Guides.  They'll walk you through an initial deployment.  If this is a Test/Lab setup, I would erase the config and start over, otherwise you'll need to remove all the config from your Ethernet interfaces & re-inherit the appropriate system port profile.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0_4_s_v_1_3/getting_started/configuration/guide/n1000v_gsg.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0_4_s_v_1_3/install/software/guide/n1000v_install_software.html

*Whichever Uplink Port Profile you decide to use, you MUST ensure it matches the configuration of your upstream N5K.

ie. If using "channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning" then your N5K interfaces need to be Trunks ONLY - NO PORT CHANNELS on N5K side.

If using "channel-group auto mode on/active" then your N5K interfaces need to be in a static or LACP Port Channel respectively.

MAC Pinning is the easiest option and what we recommend.  There's less upstream configuration dependency.

Regards,

Robert

1. Does nv1000 support changing the port profile once the port inherits it ?

It seems , it does not.

Because , system uplink shows me assigned ports as all the ethernel interfaces.

Even I create a port channel , it shows as an assigned interface.

2. I am not using MAC_PINNING anywhere.

3. On n5k , ports are in LACP mode and if I aggregate them using windows teaming , it works well.

This problem is only on nv1000 switch setup.