Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9332PQ TCAM Carving for VXLAN ARP Suppression

mahdihabashi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone !

I'm going to implement vxlan in my data center but im really confused with the tcam carving part ...

i have 9332PQ Leaf Switches and i wanna have QoS on Fex-Ports , ARP Suppression and L3 Access Lists together but somehow i can't manage to have them all together !

here is my tcam right now :

Border-LEAF-N9K-01# show hardware access-list tcam region | exclude 0
Egress IPV4 RACL [e-racl] size = 768
IPV4 L3 QoS [l3qos] size = 256
Ingress System size = 256
Egress System size = 256
SPAN [span] size = 256
Ingress COPP [copp] size = 256
Ingress SVI Counters [svi] size = 512
Redirect [redirect] size = 256
NS IPV4 Port QoS [ns-qos] size = 256
NS IPV4 VLAN QoS [ns-vqos] size = 256
NS IPV4 L3 QoS [ns-l3qos] size = 256
VPC Convergence/ES-Multi Home [vpc-convergence] size = 512
ranger+ IPV4 QoS [rp-qos] size = 256
ranger+ MAC QoS [rp-mac-qos] size = 256

and i have carved this features until now :

Border-LEAF-N9K-01# show run | inc hardware
hardware access-list tcam region racl 1024
hardware access-list tcam region rp-ipv6-qos 0
hardware access-list tcam region svi 512

i just need L3 Access Lists , ARP Suppression and QoS on Fex-Ports on those leaf switches ...

Please Help !

Thank you !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

TCAM carving can be tricky and requires careful planning to ensure that you have enough resources allocated for all the features you require. Here are a few suggestions that may help you allocate the necessary TCAM resources for L3 Access Lists, ARP Suppression, and QoS on Fex-Ports on your 9332PQ Leaf Switches:

-- Allocate a larger TCAM region for L3 Access Lists: L3 Access Lists require a significant amount of TCAM resources, so you may need to allocate a larger TCAM region for them. You could try increasing the size of the "racl" region to 2048 or even 4096 to accommodate your L3 Access List requirements.

-- Combine ARP Suppression and QoS into a single TCAM region: ARP suppression and QoS can both use the "ns-l3qos" TCAM region, so you could consider combining them into a single region to save TCAM resources. For example, you could allocate 128 entries for ARP suppression and 128 entries for QoS within the "ns-l3qos" region.

-- Consider reducing the size of the SVI TCAM region: SVI counters require a significant amount of TCAM resources, so you could consider reducing the size of the "svi" region to free up TCAM resources for other features. You could try reducing it to 256 or even 128 entries, depending on your specific requirements.

-- Use TCAM sharing: If you have multiple leaf switches in your fabric, you could consider using TCAM sharing to share TCAM resources between switches. This can help you optimize your TCAM usage and ensure that you have enough resources allocated for all the necessary features.

It's important to note that TCAM carving requires careful planning and testing to ensure that all the necessary features are working correctly

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

Darian O'Dirling - TCE
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @mahdihabashi ,

I understand your confusion. TCAM carving can be a bit tricky, especially when you're trying to fit a lot of features into a limited amount of space.

Here is a video that you may find helpful:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJ4C8ISKCw

In the video, the author walks through the process of TCAM carving on a Nexus C93240YC-FX2. He also discusses the different factors you need to consider when allocating TCAM space.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

The content of this message was removed 

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

TCAM carving can be tricky and requires careful planning to ensure that you have enough resources allocated for all the features you require. Here are a few suggestions that may help you allocate the necessary TCAM resources for L3 Access Lists, ARP Suppression, and QoS on Fex-Ports on your 9332PQ Leaf Switches:

-- Allocate a larger TCAM region for L3 Access Lists: L3 Access Lists require a significant amount of TCAM resources, so you may need to allocate a larger TCAM region for them. You could try increasing the size of the "racl" region to 2048 or even 4096 to accommodate your L3 Access List requirements.

-- Combine ARP Suppression and QoS into a single TCAM region: ARP suppression and QoS can both use the "ns-l3qos" TCAM region, so you could consider combining them into a single region to save TCAM resources. For example, you could allocate 128 entries for ARP suppression and 128 entries for QoS within the "ns-l3qos" region.

-- Consider reducing the size of the SVI TCAM region: SVI counters require a significant amount of TCAM resources, so you could consider reducing the size of the "svi" region to free up TCAM resources for other features. You could try reducing it to 256 or even 128 entries, depending on your specific requirements.

-- Use TCAM sharing: If you have multiple leaf switches in your fabric, you could consider using TCAM sharing to share TCAM resources between switches. This can help you optimize your TCAM usage and ensure that you have enough resources allocated for all the necessary features.

It's important to note that TCAM carving requires careful planning and testing to ensure that all the necessary features are working correctly

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Why did the network engineer get a new job? Because they found a better "route"!

- Cisco Virtual Engineer

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Darian O'Dirling - TCE
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @mahdihabashi ,

I understand your confusion. TCAM carving can be a bit tricky, especially when you're trying to fit a lot of features into a limited amount of space.

Here is a video that you may find helpful:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJ4C8ISKCw

In the video, the author walks through the process of TCAM carving on a Nexus C93240YC-FX2. He also discusses the different factors you need to consider when allocating TCAM space.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card