Views
Helpful
Replies

7911 Factory Reset TFTP Problem

jason.henderson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've got an issue with a 7911 that I factory reset.

First, I reset using the 123456789*0# key sequence, then pointed option 150 at my laptop and did a Wireshark capture.  It keeps trying to download term06.default.loads, which is a bit odd considering it's a 7911.  Screen then changes to Cisco logo with bullseye in lower left corner, and it just sits there.

I then came across another reset key sequence - 3491672850*#, which seemed to reset it again, but now when it boots up the screen is blank and I get exactly the same tftp requests as before this reset, except this time it gets stuck in a boot loop.

Is it a brick or is there a way to recover it?  I've tried with term06.default.loads from about half a dozen different firmware versions from 7, 8 and 9.  It never asks for any other file as it never gets past the first download.  Wireshark capture attached.  Using tftpd64 on my laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

2 Replies 2

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jason,

I can assure you the phone is not bricked..Look at a similar thread..Looks like the firmware on the phone cant upgrade to the firmware you are trying to go to. You need to downlaod not just the term default file but all of the file for the required firmware..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3944307#3944307

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Looking at your WireShark, I wonder if the ethernet port on the phone is faulty. The phone is asking for the file, and the server is repeatedly sending the first block of data with no acknowledgement.

So your server has the file, and the server is sending it to the phone, but the phone isn't receiving it.

(Another thought is maybe a network/routing/firewall issue between the phone and the TFTP server)

Have you tried putting a PC on the same subnet as the phone and using a TFTP client to pull the file down ?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.