cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8800 KEM only shows 'the phone is not set up for the expansion module' when connected to 8865

Doug
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Trying to connect a 8800 KEM to a 8865 phone.  Have looked at several forums and threads, tried all the settings.  Still get the same message on the phone when I connect the 8800 'the phone is not set up for the expansion module'.

In CUCM have tried the One Column Display for KEM, the Power Negotiation, Phone Button Template, different switches, nothing seems to matter.  The phone is recognizing the KEM, or other USB powered devices.

Help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The A-KEM is the Audio-KEM and the V-KEM is the Video-KEM.  You can only use the V-KEM on a video phone and an A-KEM on an audio phone (i.e. 8865 vs 8851).  For the BEKEM that you have, that is EOL.  The V and A KEM replaced it.  Check out the EOL page:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-8800-series/eos-eol-notice-c51-741310.html

Please rate helpful posts by clicking the thumbs up!

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Andrew Skelly
Level 7
Level 7

This may be a silly question but do you have a KEM specified under Expansion Module Information?  Also, what is the phone button template configured for?  Is it something like 1L 4S 36KEM (1 line, 4 speed dials = 5 lines on the 8865 and 36 on the KEM)?

Please rate helpful posts by clicking the thumbs up!

The Expansion Module Information shows as: CP-8800-Video 28 Button Key Expansion Module.

I have 2 button templates I have tried. 

1. Name: 'Standard 8865 SIP',  shows 10 buttons, lines 1 and 2 as Line and the remainder speed dial.

2. Name: 'Standard 8865 SIP + KEM', 118 buttons, lines 1 and 2 as Line, buttons 3-10 as speed dial, the remainders as none.

Here's the right solution

pwenger
Level 3
Level 3
Hello Doug

I'm sure you configured the expansion module in the Expansion Module Information section of your 8865 configuration page on CUCM.
Is there enough power for the KEM? 8865+1KEM requires 802.3at PoE or a power cube4.
Has the phone the required firmware (10.2(2) and later)?

Regards
Peter

Active load shows: sip8845-65.12-5-1SR1-4  on the 8865 phone.

I have both a 8800 28, and a 8800 36.  The 36 is now powering on after adding buttons to the phone button template.  The 28 will not respond to any changes.  I will see if I can find a power supply, but I would assume the 28 would work before the 36 would if that is the case.  Will let you know.

No change on the 28 button KEM after adding external power supply.

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Do you have 28-button or 36-button KEM module? Make sure to select correct KEM module under phone configuration.

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

I have both and am selecting them as I connect them.  The 28 will not power on at all, the 36 is now powering on after modifying the phone button template.

Hi,

Try disabling Power Negotiation on phone configuration page for 28-button module.

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Power Negotiation does not change anything.  With or without an external power supply.

Doug
Level 1
Level 1

So, it appears I have two separate issues.

1. the 36 Button KEM had the wrong button template.  Changing that made it work.

2. the 28 button (cp-8800-a-kem) will not work under any button template, any product specific line changes or with additional power.  My CUCM option under module 1 shows: CP-8800-Video 28 button key expansion module

So, other than the forums so far I have seen.  Line mode does not help, Power Negotiation does not help, One Column Display for KEM does not help, or a new button template.  Any suggestions?  I'll try it.

Hi,

Can you try upgrading the phone to latest version 12.6(1).

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

UPDATE: firmware updated and installed.  Same difference on 8800 28 button.  Still when connecting comes up with the same message.

In this case, I would recommend opening Cisco TAC case. 

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: