Views
Helpful
Replies

8831 doesn't boot up

bonczend
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

we have a Cisco 8831 Conference Phone (a new one), wich would not boot up right.

After the Cisco Logo and Trademark text, we don't get any error message, and any name for the softkeys.

And the boot doesn't go further.

We try it without network cable normally, but we already tried with it too.

We have another new Cisco 8831, which boots up without problems.

I thought try a factory reset, but i didn't find how could i do this.

What can i do else?

Best Regards

Endre

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If it won't boot, then open a TAC case and RMA (return) the phone.

If you don't have a support contract, you can open a TAC case under warrantee using the serial number.

Be warned that I have seen the serial number on the phone not match the serial number printed on the box, with those three 8831 phones. Cisco had them listed under the serial number on the box, so be carefull.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

I ran into this issue with 3 out of 10 - 8831 phones at a customer site.

The solution was to use an external power source (power brick) so the phone will power up, and then run the factory reset sequence from the softkey menu:

Apps > Admin Settings > Reset Settings>All

Thanks, Randy

Hi Randy,

thank You, but what do You mean under "power brick"?

We try to boot up with the adapter of the device, which was delivered with the phone.

I tried already with the adapter of the other phone (which one works fine), but didn't help.

Thanks,

Endre

Use an external power supply, p/n CP-PWR-CUBE-3

Do not plug in the Ethernet cable.

Once it is powered up, you should be able to get to the administration menu.

Hi,

it didn't help...The phone still doesn't boot up.

If it won't boot, then open a TAC case and RMA (return) the phone.

If you don't have a support contract, you can open a TAC case under warrantee using the serial number.

Be warned that I have seen the serial number on the phone not match the serial number printed on the box, with those three 8831 phones. Cisco had them listed under the serial number on the box, so be carefull.

Hi Randy,

thansk a lot, we will do this.

Hi Randall,

I am curious to know what you did for the 3 IP phones which Cisco listed with box serial numbers. I am having the same situation with 9 IP phones ordered, all of them having the box serial number and I need to do a RMA on one of them and serial number with Cisco doesn't match up

Regards,

Pratik

I have the two problems. Serial numbers not matching, and phone not booting beyond the Cisco logo. Did you get a solution?

If you need to RMA the phone, tell TAC to look harder. With the 8831, the support contract is usually based on a "Bundle" S/N. This is printed on the box, but usually doesn't match the one on the base unit or keypad. TAC should be able to cross reference the base unit S/N to the Bundle S/N.

The S/N listed under Device Information on the phone's web page is usually the same as the base S/N.

I have heard that some firmware versions require Auto-Registration in CallManager to get the initial boot up. If that doesn't work, then try an external power supply and see if it will be stable long enough to do a factory reset from the keypad.

Hello,

I came across the same issue and the power brick seemed to fix it.  Do you know if the 8831 needs to be connected by the power brick at all times?  or Can it be connected POE as well?

Thank you,

Diana

pjweppner
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue on a 8831 with the wrong serial number for one phone shipped in early March 2014. Given this post is 6 months old, I hope it was old stock and not surfacing again. Wireless mics quit charging and seem DOA after powered up for 10 minutes unless they took a power surge. Customer setup the phone so I have no visual reference.

ptierce
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed that mine wouldn't register at all with CUCM until I added a DN on the phone.  Registered just fine after that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: