Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accidental 911 calls

Since moving to our Cisco phone solution, we've been plagued by accidental 911 calls.  When the users do this, they hang up and the cops show up.  We've tried counseling the users but in the end I feel like this is something we should be able to prevent.  To dial out, we have to use "9".  The problem comes when they double tap the 9 by accident and then hit "1" to start dialing LD.  

Our topology uses CUCM, UCCX with Cisco ISR Cubes and ATT SIP as a high level.  Any suggestions anyone can offer I'm all ears.  If there is more information I can provide, let me know.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.
13 Replies 13

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Change to using 1 to dial an outside line ...

This is something we had already considered, I should have mentioned that in my original post.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Christopher,

This older blog from Paul @ Global Knowledge seems to capture most of the ideas people use to try and mitigate this problem. If you can't encourage management to use CER then I prefer the method detailed in the Introduce IDT (inter-digit timeout) method that can be configured to introduce a 6-7 second delay that allows users to realize their mistake before the call is connected;

http://blog.globalknowledge.com/technology/unified-communications/accidental-calls-to-911/

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I can not connect with this link. Is it only me or there is some issue with the link?

- Vivek

Hi Vivek,

It's working for me, but just in case here's what it said :)

As a teacher of Cisco Voice classes, there is one question in particular that I hear time and again:

“How do I stop people from accidentally dialing 911?”

A number of students have reported that the number of erroneous calls to 911 has increased exponentially since their installation of VoIP. Consider this possible scenario:

1. A user picks up their handset and dials “9,1” to make a long distance call
  2. The user then looks away from the phone to look up the rest of the number
  3. They turn back to the phone and continue to dial their long distance number
  4. But, they forget that they have already dialed “9,1” and they dial 1-919-555-1212

Actual number dialed: 9-1-1-9-1-9-5-5-5-1-2-1-2

The first three digits are significant in this case, as they are “911″. The 911 route pattern is marked as “Urgent Priority” in order for that call to get passed off to emergency services – even if there is a longer match route pattern.

The caller, not realizing the significance of disconnecting a call to the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) without saying anything, hangs the phone up and pretends it never happened. After a hang-up call, the PSAP tries to call back and if they get no answer, they send the police out to investigate. Many cities and counties will now charge as much as $2000 or more per erroneous call to the PSAP.

There are many different solutions for preventing accidental calls to 911. No particular solution is the right way or the wrong way. The “correct” solution for your system is dependent on the rules of the county/city/state your phones are located in. In addition, your companies policies need to be considered along with what processes your users are familiar with.

The following list of possible options is not a complete list of solutions for accidental calls to 911. But it does identify some of the more popular methods to solving the issue.

Train users not to hang up the call: User education is one of the best ways to cut down on accidental 911 calls. Make sure your users know that if they do accidentally dial 911 they are to stay on the phone and let the PSAP operator know the call was an accident. This stops the system from calling the phone back, as well as sending the police to investigate.

Eliminate direct dialing of 911: Remove the 911 route pattern and only have a 9.911 route pattern. There are many issues with this method of stopping accidental calls to 911, least of which are legal issues. Every person in the country has been taught to dial 911 for an emergency. During an emergency situation most people do not think to dial 9911, only 911. It is very important that you check the rules and regulations of your local city, county or municipality that governs your local PSAP to determine if this is a possibility for your company. In a lot of local areas removing 911 is acceptable, as long as a large and significant notice is placed on each phone stating you must dial 9911 for emergencies.

Security office: Some local governing bodies say it is OK for 911 to not route direct to the PSAP, as long as there is a security office on campus that is manned 24 x 7 x 365. You could create a translation pattern for 911 that directs calls to the phone extension of your manned security office.

Change the outside line prefix to an 8: Many companies are implementing this solution because it is typically the simplest solution to  accidental 911 calls. The most significant issue with changing from a 9 to an 8 for an outside line is user education. As users become more comfortable with dialing an 8 instead of a 9, this relieves most of the accidental calls to 911. The change to 8 is simple if you are using MGCP on all of your gateways where the dial plan is centralized in the Communications Manager.

However, if you are using H.323 (or SRST (Servable Remote Site Telephony)) on the gateways, you have to change the route patterns to 8, as well as go to every H.323 gateway and change all the dial-peers to 8. This can be very time consuming and can be vulnerable to “fat finger” errors. Other places you may need to make changes are IP services (fast dials allow you to specify the access code), Unity restriction patterns, user speed dials, dial-from-outlook dialing rules, and fax machine speed dials.

Reroute 911 calls to Unity Auto-Attendant (AA): Route the 911 route pattern to the Unity Auto-Attendant. Record the opening greeting to say “press 9 now for emergencies or hang up and dial 9911”. Again, remember to check your local governing body for the rules and regulations; in most locations this is not a legal method of dialing 911.

Induce IDT (Inter-Digit Time Out):Remove urgent priority from 911 and 9.911 route patterns and add two additional route patterns 9.911!# and 911!#. Reduce the T302 timer to something less than the default of 15 seconds. Users would also be able to dial 911# to force the call with no IDT, which would induce IDT if no # is dialed after the digits giving the user time to realize they have made a mistake so they can hang up before connection.

Third party 911 services: An internet based 911 service provider can be hired to handle all your E911 needs. Or you can create a SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) trunk to the E911 service provider. Supply them with a list of extensions and extension locations in order that they can route the calls to the correct PSAP. They also have on-site appliances that can be installed for a more robust E911 service that would also track mobile users on your network.

Accidental dials with On-Hook dialing

Another method of dialing is when the users dial the number and then press the dial soft-key. This method can produce the same results as in the off-hook scenario above if the first 3 digits are 911.

In older versions of Cisco Communications Manager, prior to phone load 8.4, the phone would send the digits one at a time – even if you dialed them first and hit the dial soft-key. This would cause the 9.911 route pattern with urgent priority to be matched and the call to be sent even if there was a longer match route pattern.

If the phones are running 8.4.x or higher phone loads, the phones will use enbloc dialing when you hit the dial soft-key. In other words when you dial the whole number and press the dial soft-key, the phone sends all the digits in one packet or enbloc. This means the Communications Manager will look at the whole number to match the route pattern and bypass the 9.911 pattern with urgent priority.

WARNING: No matter what method you choose to reduce accidental dialing of 911, you must check with your local governing body of your PSAP and follow all guidelines to stay within the law.

Author: Paul Stryer

Cheers!

Rob

Good piece of info Rob. Thanks for sharing.

Vivek Batra
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I would prefer playing a message to caller like 'You are making emergency call. If this number was dialed accidentally, disconnect the call immediately or wait', add couple of seconds delay and then route the call. If you want to be more accurate, you can expect caller to enter any DTMF before call gets routed to emergency number. Can use either CUC or UCCX whichever fits best in the call flow.

- Vivek

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adding to what Vivek said, you can play an announcement to the caller and that can be achieved both by UCCX and CUC before the call goes out. What all you will need from UCCX perspective is 1 TP for 911 (say in PT1), 1 RP for 911 (say in PT2) and a script. Refer below how all this will come together

Callers will dial 911 (provide them the required CSS ofcourse) that will hit 911 TP which in turn will actually transform into the UCCX Route Point and will bring the call to UCCX. Once the call is in UCCX that will trigger the script attached to this thread and provide the below logic:

1) Play a message announcing "This is an emergency Call, if you want to continue Press 1 or 911". Of course, you will need to record your prompt.

2) In the script, I am using two steps Menu and Get Digit String intentionally. If you will go with Menu option then callers will only need to press 1 and that will dial 911. If you will go with Get Digit String step, callers will again need to dial 911. Choice is yours, the one you do not need simply delete it and adjust your prompt in step 1 accordingly

3) Once the user has dial 1 or 911, call will come again to CUCM and will hit the 911 Route Pattern this time. You will need to define the appropriate CSS for the CTI portsto reach the RP for 911 that is in PT2.

For CUC, you will need to create a Call Handler and then provide callers with the DTMF option. Create 911 as Dummy CTI Route Point that will send the call to CUC first and then of course you will need one RP for 911 that will send the call out. Again CSS/Partition will come into effect here.

Attaching a word document with the script screenshot as well in case you do not have the CCX Editor on your side that is required to open the Script.

Regards

Deepak

Wow, thanks for all the information everyone.  I'm going to take all this to our management group, this will definitely help!

Now there is federal law that mandates 911 be routed so the best fix is to change outbound requirement from 9 to another number.

The new FCC mandate requires all MLTS to allow for both 911 and 9911 calling

https://www.fcc.gov/mlts-911-requirements 

The requirements took effect on February 16, 2020

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

This is also an issue in our organization and we have considered changing to dialing an "8" for outside line, it would take a significant amount of programming as we have over 50 sites as well as retraining our staff.  We also have parents and students use the phones and since the standard is dialing a "9" for an outside call, we would continue to have this issue since we have no way to train them and posting signs on over 4,000 phones would be problematic and expensive.  Adding a recording that requires the caller to press an additional button could leave us open to legal issues so that is not an option either.

The best scenario would be programming in CUCM and/or Webex Calling that allows an interdigit time out to be added based on the route pattern.  That way only calls that have "911" or "9911" would have the delay before completing the call to the PSAP.  If you would like to support this idea, I added a Product Enhancement request at this LINK.  Please login to the site and click on "Vote" to add your support.  FYI, if you have problems logging into the Product Enhancement Site with Chrome, use Firefox.  It needs to open a seperate window and some settings in Chrome will block it and NOT give you an explanation as to why.  Just a sad face icon in the box.

Response Signature