cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are Cisco 8945 phone intrinsically safe?

tlengelhardt1
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched Cisco.com and have not been able to find an answer.   Any help would be appreciated. 
Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kelmcbri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry, but the 8945 is NOT intrinsically safe.  The 8821-EX (Wireless phone) is Cisco's only intrinsically safe phone.  (Cisco also re-sells an intrinsically safe android phone made by Sonim.)

There used to be a vendor that provided an intrinsically safe replacement case for a Cisco 7900 series phone but I don't see any version supporting currently shipping phones.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I appreciate your response and information you have provided.

I may not have been clear in my question. The question was more on the line of "are are phones intrinsically safe, can you make a call using the phones if there was a gas leak in the building."

I don’t believe they are rated at such specifically. The 8821-EX may be, as well as sealed devices from other vendors .

Open a case with TAC as a S4 “answer my question” or check with your account team or reseller to be sure .

While “probably” a device with an optical hook switch isn’t going to cause a problem, if you’re asking about IS safety then probably isn’t an answer.

@jaime this refers to the device’s rating and ability to operate in combustible atmosphere so it doesn’t ignite a fire or explode. I wish TLS would prevent that, it would be easier.

Thank you for responding.

I did reach out to our Cisco rep, he responded this morning that they are not intrinsically safe and also suggested the 8821-EX. 

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That depends on exactly what you're looking for, for example, if your definition of secure is to use TLS 1.2, then the answer would be no:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/Compatibility/TLS/TLS1-2-Compatibility-Matrix.html

I'd suggest you approach a local Cisco partner with UC specialization if you want to discuss buying or configuring a Cisco UC solution for security and what is available.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

kelmcbri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry, but the 8945 is NOT intrinsically safe.  The 8821-EX (Wireless phone) is Cisco's only intrinsically safe phone.  (Cisco also re-sells an intrinsically safe android phone made by Sonim.)

There used to be a vendor that provided an intrinsically safe replacement case for a Cisco 7900 series phone but I don't see any version supporting currently shipping phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: