cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning a Call Handler to an Incoming Call?

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

The following is all in Unity Connection v8.x:

I am trying to setup a Menu/Prompt for ANY incoming calls to a specific local phone number. I have setup a "Call Handler" and began creating a "Direct Routing Rule" for that.

Basically I am trying to do this. If a Customer calls this one specific Local Phone Number/Line I would like a recording to pickup and have it offer them 2 options.

So am I on the right path with this here...?

- Should I Create a "Direct Routing Rule" which would have a:

- "Routing Rule Condition" that would be:

-- "Dialed Number ---> Operator=Equals, Operand_Value=555-555-5555"

(*i.e. the "555-555-5555" would be the local phone number that would be called by a customer)

- Then for the setting "Send Calls to", use the "Call Handler" I have already setup for this "Menu/Prompt" mentioned above.

Does that sound like I am on the right track for this?

Is there something in CallManager that would need to be setup as well?

ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated..!

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need a routing rule, do this:

1. create a CTI Route Point with DN matching the incoming call
  2. set the CTI RP to forward all to VM
  3. build call handler that has the same DN as the CTI RP
  4. configure the call handler as you wish, i.e. play greeting, map caller input to user's DN, etc

That's it.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need a routing rule, do this:

1. create a CTI Route Point with DN matching the incoming call
  2. set the CTI RP to forward all to VM
  3. build call handler that has the same DN as the CTI RP
  4. configure the call handler as you wish, i.e. play greeting, map caller input to user's DN, etc

That's it.

HTH,

Chris

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply!

Awesome, thanks for that... I was kinda just feeling around in the dark, so this will help out ALOT!

I might not get to this this evening, so I will post back tomorrow and let you know how I made out.

Again, thanks for your quick response. Very much appreciated!

Thanks Again,

Matt

Hi

I have carried out all of the above, but when the call forwards to unity, I get the Unity menu prompt (as though the dialled number is not registered against the Call Handler).

Scenario: DN: x6302 - if unanswered, go to a call handler created in Unity (x8997)

What I have done:

Unity: Created a System Call Handler, in the extension field I have inserted 8997.

CUCM: Created a CTI RP, with x8997 assigned and in the 8997 DN, forward all calls to voicemail.

CUCM: On the original DN (6302) forward rules on no answer, I have tried both *8997 and 8997, both of which do forward incoming calls to Unity, but Unity simply plays the "Welcome to Cisco Unity Messaging system, from a touch tone phone.........."

How do I assisn the incoming calls to the System Call Handler please?

PS - if I was to take messages from this account, would the standard procedure to retrieve messages be to dial the Unity Pilot, then enter X, 8997, then the PIN?

Thank you.

Steve

Hey Chris, I'm in the process of configuring the DN for the CTI Route Point and had a question...

You said to make the DN to match the incoming call. So does that mean the DN should be what the local phone number is that the customer would be calling to (i.e. local # "555-111-2222", set DN as "5551112222"), or should it be some kind of pattern?

Also, for what you said to "Forward all to VM". In the configuartion window for the DN under "Call Forward and Call Pickup Settings", do I only need to check that check box under the "Voice Mail" Column? Or do I need to add a DN for the "Destination" and a CSS as well?

Thanks Again,

Matt

Depends on how your system's dial plan is defined, how many digits are collected from telco?

What are your other extensions defined as within your system, are they 4 digits, 10 digits, something else?

Yes, only check the Call forward All checkbox as that take precedence over everything else, assign forwarding CSS that has access to voicemail.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Hey Chris, thanks again for your reply.

Well, internally we use 4-digit extensions for employees.

Not sure if this is what you mean about "number of digit collected from telco", but if I call my desk phone (IP Phone 7941) from my cell, it comes up as a 10-digit number on the display. Is that what you mean?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

So, are all phone DNs configured as 4 digits? If so assign 4 digit extension to the cti route point as well, what happens is when you call the full number from outside, CUCM routes based on the last 4 digits.  Remmeber that when you assign the DN to the CTI RP, the same DN can no longer be assigned to the phone. Since you want to front end all calls with this call handler you will need to assign different DNs to the phone that are not directly accessibly from outside.

HTH,

Chris

Yes, I believe all DN's are configured as 4-digit numbers.

Ok, so if the number a customer is calling is, for example a local phone number of "555-111-2222", I should set the CTI Route Point's DN as "2222"?

Also, just to clarify, there isn't an actual IP Phone that is directly linked to this telephone number (i.e. 555-111-2222) , I believe it comes in through PRI lines on a Voice Gateway, then gets routed through CallManager... I think?

Thanks Again,

Matt

I've just confirmed with my "mentor/trainer" that ALL calls for us, wether it's a local phone number/line or a direct line in, gets routed through CallManager.

Thanks,

Matt

Martin,

Before calls get to CUCM, they come through the voice gateway. What Chris is asking you is this..

when a call comes in from the PSTN for this number 555-111-2222, how many digits are presented from your telco. Is it 4 or 6 or whatever is sent. Lets assume that 6 digits are presented, then the number that will be presented on your gateway is 112222.

Now if the extension in your CUCM is 4 digit like you said you will need to convert 112222 to your 2222 extension for your cti route point.

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey aokanlawon, thanks for your reply!

Ok, thanks for clearing some of that up for me, makes more sense now!

I spoke with someone here again about the digits, and he said that it is in fact "4" digits begin passed.

I could be off on this but if our extensions ARE 4 digits, then no matter what number of digits are passed I would still use the last 4 digits as the extension...? Or am I thinking of this wrong, and its really, the "digits passed" are in fact the length of the extension?

Sorry if I've confused things more, I was just confused about "length of the extensions" and "the length of the digits passed". Or are they referring to the same thing?

Again, sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for your help!

Many Thanks,

Matt

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In your case you don't need to do much. Since 4 digits is all that's passed. You just need to setup your CTI route point with the last 4 digit of the DDI.

In some cases the telco sends more than four digits.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Great, thanks for the info aokanlawon!

Thanks Again,

Matt

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to report back and let you all know that I was able to get this working.

Thanks to all who replied to my post, lots of good info, and to Chris for the correct answer.

I have the CTI Route Point all setup, which is "forwarding" incoming calls to the DN which

is set to "ForwardALL" calls to voicemail. Then in Unity, the Call Handler then picks up the

call by using the same extension as the Directory Number assigned to the CTI Route

Point (*which is the last 4 digits of the local phone number). Then the Call Handler plays

my greeting/menu that I created and handles the call based on the Caller's "input"...

Thanks again for all your help on this guys, this little exercise really helped me out in

understanding how CTI Route Points and Call Handlers work.

Thanks Again,

Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: