cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 186 Rejected After Moving Device Pool to Different CUCM Group

R M
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cisco ATA 186 boxes that are not registering after moving them to a different CUCM group. They're coming up rejected. Other devices in the same device pool are registering fine. If I move them to another Device Pool with the original CUCM group, they register fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ryan Huff
Level 4
Level 4

I assume you have tried to reset the device configuration in CCM for these devices?

Also, these are existing device configurations correct, you are not trying to have them auto-register? If you are trying to let them auto register, verify that auto-registration is supported in the new CM group and that there are available DN's to auto-assign in the specified auto-registration DN pool.

If you have physical access to the ATAs you may need to reset them;

• Plug an analog phone into port 1, go off-hook and hit the big red button on top
  • Press 322873738#* and hang-up
    • If it is a GEN1 ATA186 (really old), press 444# and hang up

Thanks,

Ryan

(: ... Please rate useful posts ...:)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Ryan Huff
Level 4
Level 4

I assume you have tried to reset the device configuration in CCM for these devices?

Also, these are existing device configurations correct, you are not trying to have them auto-register? If you are trying to let them auto register, verify that auto-registration is supported in the new CM group and that there are available DN's to auto-assign in the specified auto-registration DN pool.

If you have physical access to the ATAs you may need to reset them;

• Plug an analog phone into port 1, go off-hook and hit the big red button on top
  • Press 322873738#* and hang-up
    • If it is a GEN1 ATA186 (really old), press 444# and hang up

Thanks,

Ryan

(: ... Please rate useful posts ...:)

Thanks for all the fast answers! It's a pre-existing setup. I also found that some 7900 phones in the pool are being rejected - showing the TFTP server as 255.255.255.255. Could this be a clue?

The devices are off-site, I suppose I'll end up manually resetting the ATAs when I can get them.

sounds like they are not receiving a TFTP IP through option 150 and are resorting to a broadcast to dscover tftp.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

So a 32 bit address is definitely not a valid TFTP server.

What was the purpose in moving the device pool? Is this a logical representation of devices physically located in a new network segment? How are these devices receiving DHCP and what does the DHCP pool look like?

Thanks,

Ryan

Samuel T Mathai
Level 1
Level 1

I seen this before... sorry I  don't remember the work around for this... Is it registering with one particular server ?

While I can't say this is always the cause; generally this happens when the new CM group has a different first node than the previous node. Some times, resetting the device configuration in CCM will work but often times it requires resetting the ATA itself.

Thanks,

Ryan

Samuel T Mathai
Level 1
Level 1

what you mean is when you changing device pool it will reject, right ?

I think he means device pool; which is ultimately where the CM group is applied, so I think he just referenced the CUCM group because that is where the issue is.

Thanks,

Ryan

Sudheer Shenoy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Raymond,

Login into ATA config page http://<ata_ip>/dev and make sure CUCM addresses (primary,secondary) are same as in the device pool CM group. 

Here is a link to old but good document. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/ata-180-series-analog-telephone-adaptors/21507-ata-sccp.html#maintask1

Regards,

Sudheer Shenoy

R M
Level 1
Level 1

Resetting the ATA was the only way. Thanks!