cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot Delay CUCM, CU, CCX

windmiller
Level 1
Level 1

We've had quite a few power events lately and finally decided to set our 2 x UCSC C220-M3S to Auto Power back on after a power failure.

I'm setting the Boot Delay on the individual VM's and am curious if anyone else can speak to the delay needed between Call Manager, Unity and CCX.

These are VM's so VMware boot delay is in milliseconds.

I was initially thinking 2 minute delay between servers but thought I would see what others have had success with.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

kkoeper12
Level 3
Level 3

I give them at least a 60 second delay, preferably 90 seconds and then start the CUCM publisher. Then you can start the primary CUCxn 30 seconds after that (total delay of about 120 seconds), the UCCX primary after another 30 seconds and then have the subscribers start one at a time with about 30 seconds between each.

Hi All

Boot delay isn't really intended for that purpose.

There is a VM Startup/Shutdown menu on the configuration page for the host in vSphere that allows you to specific auto startup and the order machines boot in. It also allows you to trigger the start of the next VM early when the VM tools starts (i.e. when the OS is up).

It also allows you to specify shutdown actions (i.e. shut down guest) when the host machine is shut down for whatever reason.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for all of the replies, I forgot what a great forum this is!

Interestingly enough I looked back at the documentation we had from when the vendor initially deployed our phone system and their recommended order was as follows.

CUCM, CU, CIMP, CCX

then on the second server

CUCM, CU, CCX

Glad you find the forum useful!

Please remember to rate useful responses and mark questions 'answered' when appropriate to highlight useful content.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would set up enough delay for the CUCMs to start first and then the UCX and CCX boxes, so they can then safely register their CTI ports. 

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi windmiller,

1) first of all .... CUCM Publisher (it's the full database r/w);

2) after 2 min (just to give some time for the CUCM Publisher to go up) CUC and all the CUCM Subscribers;

3) after 2 min (just to give some time for the CUCM Subscriber to go up - because of the CTI) UCCX.

Hope this helps.

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

If at all possible, I would consider doing a real world test and running the command "utils service list" until you see all are running. Depending on hardware and database size, etc. I've seen this take up to a few minutes. You should be able to run similar tests on all your servers.

As far as order is concerned, I think others have also stated: pub, tftp, subs then uccx pub then sub. unity connection can be started at the same time as uccx pub since they don't have dependencies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: