Views
Helpful
Replies

busy trigger

Syed
Level 3
Level 3

Deall All,

Since, I am poor at cucm basic optional features, I would like to know how/when does busy trigger feature help me. I referred a couple documents but not satisfied.

Thank you in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Just try to think that if there is no busy trigger parameter, how you will instruct CM to invoke call forward - busy?

- Vivek

View solution in original post

Adding to what Vivek said, lets say you have a manager who does not want Call Waiting on his/her phone while talking to someone hence you will need to adjust the Busy Trigger to 1 for their device in this case.

Similarly, lets say you have a Receptionist working during holiday when there are no other staff so you would want to increase the Busy Trigger to something like 5 or 6 depending on the need so that callers do not go to voicemail or some other destination and kept on wait while the receptionist gets free from existing calls.

So think this setting as a way you want to treat the callers when the person they are trying to call is busy on an existing call be it forwarding their call to Voicemail, some other destination, or stay on wait etc.

Regards

Deepak

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Vivek Batra
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's about simultaneous call capacity phone can handle (including incoming and outgoing call) at a time and once respective count triggers, you have an option to invoke Call Forward - Busy if configured.

- Vivek

Vivek, you're thinking about "maximum number of calls", not busy trigger. Busy trigger only affects INCOMING calls, not outgoing.

Maximum Number of Calls

You can configure up to 200 calls for a line on a device, with the limiting factor being the total number of calls that are configured on the device. As you configure the number of calls for one line, the calls that are available for another line decrease.

The default specifies 4. If the phone does not allow multiple calls for each line, the default specifies 2.

For CTI route points, you can configure up to 10,000 calls for each port. The default specifies 5000 calls. Use this field in conjunction with the Busy Trigger field.

Note   

Although the default specifies 5000 calls for maximum number of active calls that can be configured on a CTI route point, Cisco recommends that you set the maximum number of calls to no more than 200 per route point. This will prevent system performance degradation. If the CTI application needs more than 200 calls, Cisco recommends that you configure multiple CTI route points.

Tip    If you use the external call control feature, and the policies on the policy server dictate that a chaperone must monitor and record calls, make sure that you set the Maximum Number of Calls setting to 2 and set the Busy Trigger setting to 1.

Busy Trigger

This setting, which works in conjunction with Maximum Number of Calls and Call Forward Busy, determines the maximum number of calls to be presented at the line. If maximum number of calls is set for 50 and the busy trigger is set to 40, incoming call 41 gets rejected with a busy cause (and will get forwarded if Call Forward Busy is set). If this line is shared, all the lines must be busy before incoming calls get rejected.

Use this field in conjunction with Maximum Number of Calls for CTI route points. The default specifies 4500 calls.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks JaVa, somehow I got it merged. Thanks for correcting the same.

- Vivek

Thank you Vivek & Jaime.

The above info talks about how it works & what it does, but can you guys help me why is it required?

A sample scenario would be appreciated..

Just try to think that if there is no busy trigger parameter, how you will instruct CM to invoke call forward - busy?

- Vivek

Adding to what Vivek said, lets say you have a manager who does not want Call Waiting on his/her phone while talking to someone hence you will need to adjust the Busy Trigger to 1 for their device in this case.

Similarly, lets say you have a Receptionist working during holiday when there are no other staff so you would want to increase the Busy Trigger to something like 5 or 6 depending on the need so that callers do not go to voicemail or some other destination and kept on wait while the receptionist gets free from existing calls.

So think this setting as a way you want to treat the callers when the person they are trying to call is busy on an existing call be it forwarding their call to Voicemail, some other destination, or stay on wait etc.

Regards

Deepak

Thank you Vivek/Jaime/Deepak for details explanation.

Now it is very clear to me, apprecaited..