Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager upgrade from 4.1 to 6.0

arani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I'm searching for the correct procedure to obtain DLU from Cisco in order to upgrade from CallManager 4.1 to 6.0.

Any one know if a documented migrating path exist?

Thanks to all.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Two more important notes that are not documented very well. (At all as far as I can tell)

You received a PAK key when you ordered your upgrade software for upgrading 4.x to 6.x or 5.x to 6.x. You will need to register this key on Cisco's site to the MAC address of the Publisher, and upload the license that you receive as well as the DLU/node license that you received from the previous post. If you do not, the CCM service will not start.

Also you when you capture the xml file for the DLUS etc after the upgrade so that you can post it on Cisco's web site, it might be wrapped in HTML. ie the first line and the last line are html, and the license utility will reject it. Remove the first and last line to resolve this.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alessandro,

Here is the related info for CCM 4.x to CCM 6.1.1;

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_1/upgrd611-pdf.pdf

Data Migration Assistant User Guide

Release 6.1(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/6_1_1/dmaug611-pdf.pdf

When you migrate from Cisco CallManager version 4.(x) to 6.(x), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco CallManager nodes is calculated and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will be generated during the Cisco CallManager migration process. These licenses are given free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco CallManager version 4.x. If you are provisioning new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco CallManager 6.(x), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window on CCO.

Use the following procedure to register existing licenses and request for new licenses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Click View File. A pop-up window displays that has the license information for existing phones and nodes. Copy this information. To copy the contents on this windrow, you can use Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 On the License Registration window of CCO website, in the text box provided, paste the file contents using Ctrl-V.

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 5 To obtain the actual license file, click Submit. A license file is generated.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License file" section in the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide. This node takes on the functionality of the license manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_1/ccmsys/a02licen.html#wp1100548

Hope this helps!

Rob

Just to clarify.

Make sure your CallManager 4.1 service is turned on for each physical server you purchased a CallManager software license for. DMA won't convert to a node license unless the CallManager service is turned on.

For example you bought 3x CM4.1-K9-7835H2-1 for your three node cluster. You have one PUB and two SUBS. Only have CallManager service running on the two subs and not the PUB.

Make sure all the phones that you purchased 4.1 licenses for are REGISTERED. DMA doesn't count unregistered phones. Same for IP Communicators.

Do your DMA backup.

Do you CallManager 6 install.

Go to CUCM 6.1 administration, as Rob's document says.

As of March, 2008

the link in Step 3 is www.cisco.com/go/license (login required.) Click on "If you do not have a Product Authorization Key (PAK), please click here for available licenses.". It's at the top of the page. Then at the bottom of the next page, click on " Cisco CallManager Device Upgrade License"

It was broken last time I used it a couple weeks ago (wouldn't accept my XML text.) Had to open a licensing case.

Two more important notes that are not documented very well. (At all as far as I can tell)

You received a PAK key when you ordered your upgrade software for upgrading 4.x to 6.x or 5.x to 6.x. You will need to register this key on Cisco's site to the MAC address of the Publisher, and upload the license that you receive as well as the DLU/node license that you received from the previous post. If you do not, the CCM service will not start.

Also you when you capture the xml file for the DLUS etc after the upgrade so that you can post it on Cisco's web site, it might be wrapped in HTML. ie the first line and the last line are html, and the license utility will reject it. Remove the first and last line to resolve this.

Hi,

Thanks for the great post - My CCM service kept stopping and I couldn't figure out why! Do I need to do similar for the subscriber to get the service activated, or does it only need to be done for the first node?

Thanks,

Hi,

Only the first node.

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: