Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot make a call when the Publisher is down

Hi there,

Can somebody educate me please, what is the importance of having two CUCM v7.1 servers in a cluster as one Publisher and the other Subscriber while when the Publisher is down no call can be made? I thought they are meant to work in a redundant fashion. Or is it that there is somewhere I did not do my job properly (in terms of configuration)?

Please, advice.

10 Replies 10

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Um. A subscriber is absolutely capable of handling calls when the publisher is down. Database changes (except user-facing featuers) just aren't allowed.

Check your CallManager group(s) to ensure both nodes are listed and ensure the CallManager service is running on both nodes.

Checked all that and everything semms to be OK from the Call Manager service to the Database replication but still no call (even the internal extension to extension). It is frustrating.....!!!

When pub down, check subscriber services are active and that the IP Phones registered to the sub or not ?

Is your CallManager Group set up as Sub then Pub? If so, like Jonathan said, nothing should change with your phone registration or call routing. The phones would remain registered to the Subscriber and it should continue to route calls.

Are your phones registered to the Subscriber?

All the Phones are registered to the Publisher. Do you mean that if the phones are registered to the Subscriber and the Subscriber is down can the Publisher be able to route the calls?

Yes. It should work either way but, typically, in a two server Pub-Sub environment, you want want your Subscriber to be the primary call processing server and have your phones registered to it. The Publisher would then act as a backup call processor and maintain and replicate the master database. If the Subscriber goes down, phones will register to the Publisher and it will process calls.

Are the phones able to register to the Subscriber? If not, you need to make sure the CallManager service is running on the Sub.

Thanks, but I wanted to configure the phones manually so that I decide the numbering and Labelling as I want. The problem is that you can not make these changes on the Subscriber and the only option is to do it on the Publisher.

The phones are still configured via the Admin Page on the Publisher. The changes will then be replicated to the Subscriber.

I agree with you but how can I make the phones register on the Subscriber?

On the CallManager Group that is associated with the phone's device pool, make sure that the Subscriber is listed first and the Publisher second. Then reset the phone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: