cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8831 audio problem

bradatbcass
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm having a strange problem with our Cisco 8831 conference phones. The audio quality is very poor on conference calls; if one person is speaking it seems fine but as soon as someone interrupts or starts talking overtop, the original speaker completely cuts out and the call quality gets very static-y and poor. It's like they are configured for half duplex only but that's not the case.

Network testing during a call doesn't show any packet loss or jitter. We are not using the wireless microphones and we experience the issue on phones that have never even had the microphones paired.

We have swapped network cables and plugged the phones directly into the switch stack and continue to have the problem. When we connect 7937 conference phones with the same cables to the same ports, we do not experience the problem.

The problem certainly seems to be the phones themselves and not the network but I can't believe this is expected behaviour. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brad - Technical Analyst - BC Assessment Authority

22 Replies 22

We are having similar issues and just downgraded to the FW you mentioned and hoping that works.  Have you seen any issues since this post?  Thanks

After the downgrade we are running SR3 already for month's and so far without any issues.

Has anyone tried firmware 10.3(1)SR4b?

has anyone tried this?

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvh12266/?rfs=iqvred

cmterm-8831-sip.10-3-1SR4b-1

@jakeriley @ciscokid6969 Have you been able to resolve your issues?

We got some upset management needing a resolution...  SR3 or SR5 work fine still?

yup 3 still working fine as i said in my last post. never tried sr5

Thank you!

We had SR4, and am now running SR5...

I have users complaining about something like this, but it could just be that they're calling into a Teams meeting and what they're hearing is normal? (The user doesn't know the difference between static and feedback...)
Anyway, I gave them an 8832 and updated the 8831 to 10-3-1SR6-4-NA. The phone sounds marvelous to me, but it's hard to test these things.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: