cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Communicator doesn't register in VPN (Cisco VPN client)

phil.garrelhas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have a Cisco 2901 running Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express.

We're running Cisco IP Communicator 2.1.2.0.

We're running Cisco VPN Client 5.0.07.0410

We have a Cisco ASA Firewall

When I launch CIPC, it becomes stuck at the "Registering" process only when I am VPNed into the network.....using both wireless or a cable.

What I've done:

1. I can ping the Call Manager/TFTP successfully.

2. I have added the MAC info for the wireless card and the Cisco VPN adapter to the call manager.

3. I have the TFTP IP set in CIPC under  Preferences->Network->TFTP Servers.

While it's "Registering", if I disconnect from VPN and plug into my local network, it registers in a second.

What am I missing here?

Phil...

18 Replies 18

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Phil,

Is there a policy in your ASA that may be blocking the traffic?

Best,

David

Hi David,

No, there are no rules blocking traffic.

Hi Everyone,

Under "audio" , I went to the network option and I got a default IP address in the  "use this address" option which corrected my issue.

Hi Phil,

In your CIPC client make sure that you select "Cisco VPN Client Adapter" to be used by CIPC and not your wireless adapter.

open the command prompt as an administrator

e.g  go to all programs > accessories > command prompt > rightclick > open as administratior

on the c:\ prompt write the follwoing command:

C:\>netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Hi,

Tried that command, and still the same results.

Hi Mohammed,

I've already added both the wireless and Cisco VPN adapter mac addresses to my call manager and tested in CIPC for both. Doesn't pass the "registering" phase.

Phil,

I assume you are able to access other network resources over the VPN? Do you see the traffic from CIPC on the network with wireshark, or on the CME box - debug tftp events ? Can you ping the VPN client from the CME router?

Best,

David

Hi David,

Yes. I can access all other resources over the VPN network. And yes, I can ping the VPN client from the CME router and vice versa.

Using Wireshark, I see several read requests followed by, no such file.

102 68.474312  TFTP 73 Read Request, File: CTLSEPA4BADBDE33E5.tlv, Transfer type: octet

103 68.500206  TFTP 59 Error Code, Code: File not found, Message: No such file

The files exist, otherwise I'd see the same errors when I'm connected to my network without VPN.

Thoughts?

Phil

Hi David,

I was wondering if you had a chance to see my reply to this.

I'm able to ping from the client to the cucm and vice versa.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

I am not talking only about cucm side. In cipc client you need to set the source interface under preferences menu. There you shld select vpn client interface. Then you shld configure vpn mac in cucm.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Mohammed,

Thank you for the response.

And yes, I changed the source interface in CIPC as well as in CUCM.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I do not have that much idea on ASA but for VoIP protocols we need to enable inspection of protocols.

Please find the URL .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a008081042c.shtml

regds,

aman

All the proper protocols seem to be set up on my ASA.

The only errors that I see in Wireshark when connected through VPN, are:

102 68.474312  TFTP 73 Read Request, File: CTLSEPA4BADBDE33E5.tlv, Transfer type: octet

103 68.500206  TFTP 59 Error Code, Code: File not found, Message: No such file

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: