Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone Registration without Voice VLAN

aniket0422
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

We have a customer who has only Data VLAN 1 and Do not have Voice VLAN at all in their network.

PC connects normally on the Data VLAN 1 with IP address from DHCP scope.

Now requirement is to connect IP Phone on the same switch port and then connect PC in Daisy Chaining to  the IP Phone.

Below are my queries,

1. Whether Phone will get IP address from the Data VLAN 1 without Voice VLAN configuration on switch port.

2. If Phone gets IP address and we manually configure TFTP in IP Phone pointing to CUCM IP, will my phone register ?

3. What will happen to the PC if i connect it to the PC port of the Phone ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

1. Yes it will 

2. Yes it will

3. It will operate as normal 

Response Signature

View solution in original post

There is actually no need to configure voice vlan on the switch port. If omitted the phone will just operate in the data vlan. That said it would be considered as good practice to do what you suggested.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

1. Yes it will 

2. Yes it will

3. It will operate as normal 

Response Signature

It does not create a problem for your PCs to receive an Option 150 from the DHCP pool, which would be the same pool that the phones use. Therefore you do not have to manually set the TFTP server on the phones. It is worthwhile checking with your security people in case they take issue with this, but a single DHCP pool can be used for your VLAN 1 devices (PCs and phones)

Maren

In your case,

on Switch port configure both  access vlan and voice vlan  1.

On DHCP,  for Vlan 1 Scope define option 150 IP as CUCM node with TFTP service activated.

As both voice and access ports are in vlan 1  phone and pc will be in same subnet and they use same range of IP's.

Response Signature

There is actually no need to configure voice vlan on the switch port. If omitted the phone will just operate in the data vlan. That said it would be considered as good practice to do what you suggested.

Response Signature